Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   throttle position sensor (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/46327-throttle-position-sensor.html)

kieron_kohlmann 03-14-2010 10:10 PM

throttle position sensor

So i went up north this weekend and on the way back the rig would shift down out of OD constantly. I plugged in the DRBII at work and got a code for TPS voltage below minimum. i watched the data screen and saw there was no change in tps% when the peddle was depressed. my question is where can i get a TPS that doesnt cost $270 from the parts store. My price at work from dodge is around $500.

Begle1 03-14-2010 10:52 PM

It sounds more like a wiring problem than a TPS problem to me. Faulty TPS's on these trucks tend to be jumpy and erratic; I would think that a below-minimum voltage would mean that it just got disconnected.

The only thing the TPS effects is shifting into overdrive. It is common to ditch the TPS and replace it with a potentiometer; that way you can bluff the computer into thinking the TPS is wherever and dial in your shift point according. Alternately you can just put the overdrive on a simple toggle switch and never worry about things operating automatically again.

hdsidehack 03-15-2010 07:16 AM

Go to dnrcustoms.com 989.280.9384 they make a overdrive shift fix kit (potentiometer)
Was an ad in dieselpower mag in the febuary issue.
This should resolve your problems.

kieron_kohlmann 03-15-2010 06:02 PM

no it was deffinetly a TPS sensor, because i have a 5 volt supply and a ground at the harness end. i also read OL when i try to measure the resistance of the TPS sensor its self.

RSWORDS 03-15-2010 06:21 PM

Potentiometer and be done.

kieron_kohlmann 03-15-2010 10:25 PM

yeah today at work i recalibrated the TPS sensor, since you can change its point of orgin, or what the computer thinks is 0% throttle. that worked all day, until tonight when it screwed up. i just ordered the potentiometer for it.

Begle1 03-15-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by RSWORDS (Post 517071)
Potentiometer and be done.

Or a toggle and be even more done with it.

I swear, what do you people have against toggles? :D

pewder 03-16-2010 01:16 AM

Begle, were you or are you a trucker?

I've noticed a lot of rigs having toggles in them so I was wondering if it had just become a habit to have a dozen of them to play with.:tttt::moon:

Begle1 03-16-2010 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope, not a trucker.

I just have a few (dozen) bizarre fetishes, toggle switches being one of them.

Attachment 48438

pewder 03-16-2010 01:46 AM

Did you take off your blinker switch so you had an excuse to do it manually with a toggle?

I think I would classify you as having an addiction, obsession, or just plain add for having that many toggles. ha ha:moon:

Like the shifter though. What B&M is that? Don't get a Quick Silver, took mine to the shop one day and the idiot almost broke the damn thing out the truck when all he had to do was LIFT UP!:argh: