Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   1st gen 1ton wheel cyl (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/40135-1st-gen-1ton-wheel-cyl.html)

Pullin crx hf 01-07-2010 07:11 PM

1st gen 1ton wheel cyl

I may have a bad rear wheel cyl. I have no rear brakes. I took it to a shop and he said that's probably the problem. Anyone know what it will probably cost to have it done at a shop? Thanks!

Jet A Fuel 01-07-2010 07:33 PM

Most of the time wheel cylinders are around 10 to 20 bucks. probably an hour and a half for shop labor to R&R.
They usually last a long long time and usually dont fail completely they will leak and you will have no fluid in your master cylinder.
Just a note I see you live up in Ohio check your steel lines running back for rust from the salt roads.I have seen lines rust in-too were salt was trapped and corroded out the steel line.

Pullin crx hf 01-07-2010 08:18 PM

Yah I thought it was a line under my cab but the guy at the shop said the lines are good. And another guy at my shop has a 3/4ton and said it's like an all day job becUse you have to get to the bleeders. I've never been under the truck so i dunno

The_Head 01-07-2010 09:41 PM

I'm no expert on the brakes, but if they have to pull out the axle to do this type of repair, it's going to cost more.

Axle removal is required for some of the brake work on the first gen D70's.

tltruckparts 01-07-2010 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by The_Head (Post 466642)
I'm no expert on the brakes, but if they have to pull out the axle to do this type of repair, it's going to cost more.

Axle removal is required for some of the brake work on the first gen D70's.

pulling out an axle on a full float D70 isnt a big deal though. its like 6 or 8 bolts and the whole entire axle comes right out. you dont even have to take the wheel off. and i am almost positive theyd use a FF axle on the 1 ton.

it should be pretty straight forward, wheel off, brake drum off, wheel cylinder out, new one in, and bleed it.

Pullin crx hf 01-08-2010 01:02 AM

Yes it's a full float setup

tltruckparts 01-08-2010 01:06 AM

you could probably do it yourself if youve got a mechanical background at all and know how to bleed brakes

Pullin crx hf 01-08-2010 02:27 AM

But what about getting the brake drum off? I've heard it's a bitch because of some pesty hardware

tltruckparts 01-08-2010 12:34 PM

once the wheel comes off, the brake drum should pretty much slide right off.it not, whack it with a hammer a couple times. the shock it provides make the shoes back off a little bit to take the tension off. and in some drumns theres even 2 little 3/8's holes that are threaded that you can put bolts in and tighten them to it off. but i dont think the dana 70's have them

Budgreen 01-08-2010 01:15 PM

does that year have ABS? if so the controller valve in the rear of the frame could be toast.. I know mine was so I bypassed it for now.