Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   M&H fuel pin (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/32473-m-h-fuel-pin.html)

RSWORDS 09-14-2009 06:02 PM

The getrag is a better tranny then the 4500's They just have a couple issues that need to be fixed first... Real easy to do.

peobryant 09-15-2009 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by lodal cummins (Post 394257)
i was told that that tranny was a weak link by a few. but sounds like that is not the case. have not researched it that much. guess i should do more research before calling it crappy!

You generally hear that from people who think the most power a 1st Gen can make is 300rwhp. Basically, people who have never owned a 1st Gen, but since they're on the internet, they know everything.

They are actually a good tranny, but they don't like abuse. If you abuse it, it'll let you know by making some very bad noises. Main things to do are keep it overfilled, and don't lug it.

Originally Posted by RSWORDS (Post 394580)
The getrag is a better tranny then the 4500's They just have a couple issues that need to be fixed first... Real easy to do.

I don't agree with that. The NV4500 does have a smaller clutch stock, but that is a non issue in my opinion. It has a lot more aftermarket support, and other than the 5th gear nut, which also has a very simple fix, I don't see a problem with it.

I'm not sure if you've ever heard of the 2.8 puller "Ragged Out" (top 2.8 puller in the country) but it has a stock NV4500 in it, and it is one of the few parts that hasn't been destroyed by the 1200+horsepower, and who knows how much torque that Cummins is putting out.

Plus the NV4500 shifts a lot smoother than the Getrag, and 5th gear isn't a mile away. This is all my opinion of course.

Alwaysworking 09-15-2009 10:09 AM

I think the best pin for daily driving and playing with your truck is the M2 for a 5speed truck, that is what i run in my personal trucks.

lodal cummins 09-15-2009 10:21 PM

guess i will try overfilling the tranny and hope it gives it a long life. i will stop calling it bad names. what are the issues that need to be fixed on this tranny to avoid problems? guess i will try the m2 pin first. how much do these fuel pins cost?

NadirPoint 09-15-2009 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by lodal cummins (Post 395445)
.. what are the issues that need to be fixed on this tranny to avoid problems?

The driver / operator is the only issue that needs to be fixed. Keep it filled and don't try to shift it like a race car and it'll be fine. It is a "truck" transmission, after all. :w2:

peobryant 09-17-2009 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by lodal cummins (Post 395445)
guess i will try overfilling the tranny and hope it gives it a long life. i will stop calling it bad names. what are the issues that need to be fixed on this tranny to avoid problems? guess i will try the m2 pin first. how much do these fuel pins cost?

Overfill it, and don't lug it, and you should be good to go.

Budgreen 09-17-2009 08:02 AM

what to fill it with? suggestions? i'm doin mine prolly tonight