Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   HOT ENGINE TEMPS (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/30246-hot-engine-temps.html)

DieselPerformanceGuy 08-05-2009 10:13 PM

HOT ENGINE TEMPS

my engine runs hot all the time. it takes like 2mins while driving for it to get it heatedup.
i've been noticing that when i have to let the egt's cool down the engine gets hotter, and when i'm driving around town it seems to heat up.

this is all without the a/c when the a/c is on it's worse but just tonight my engine temps were almost on the H it was almost to the line before the h i mean.

should i try draining the coolant and putting some new coolent in.

jasonfriedlin 08-05-2009 10:20 PM

These first gens are known for being hot, hot egt's, hot coolant and oil temps. Nothin on them is big enough, the turbos, radiators, or intercoolers for those of you that have them. Check your radiator cap. Mine was bad and I kept losing a lil coolant but couldnt figure out where it was going. It wouldnt hold any pressure, got a new one and mine is runnin a lil cooler now. A good coolant system flush and new coolant certainly wouldnt hurt anything but check the cap too

ltr450 08-05-2009 10:20 PM

you can try draining the coolant but it might not help unless it is clogged, might be bad water pump or you thermostat is suck or your radiator fins need a nice cleaning

DieselPerformanceGuy 08-05-2009 10:26 PM

thanks i'll try those thing

couldn't hurt

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

would the water pump affect the a/c also cuz i have been noticing that my a/c doesn't really work the air is way hotter thean my other 12valves

jasonfriedlin 08-05-2009 10:27 PM

No the a/c may just need a shot of freon and the hotter it is outside the hotter the air the a/c is gonna blow

DieselPerformanceGuy 08-05-2009 10:36 PM

yea i noticed that the littlest bit of temp outside makes a big difference on the a/c

how do u tell if ur water pump is going out.

jasonfriedlin 08-05-2009 10:46 PM

IDK it either works or it doesnt. Most of the time when they go out they leak or the bearing makes alot of noise. Never had that problem on my dodge but on other vehicles. Probably be harder to hear the noise on the diesel over a gasser

DieselPerformanceGuy 08-05-2009 10:50 PM

ya idk i'll check if mines likin or makin noise but if it's not than i'll try to clean the radiator and put new fluid in:U:

thanks for your help sir

jasonfriedlin 08-05-2009 10:52 PM

No problem, dont forget to get the new radiator cap too. Its only like 8 bucks or something

DieselPerformanceGuy 08-05-2009 10:54 PM

ya i bout forgot but ya i bet that will help cuz the people that my dodge before me opened it when it was hot and shot a big hole in my hood.

looks like crap and the cap is kinda bent up but i dont think it leaks fluid but it might not hold pressure