Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Not getting enough fuel to turn on turbo (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/117734-not-getting-enough-fuel-turn-turbo.html)

Chilired007 12-21-2013 08:09 PM

Not getting enough fuel to turn on turbo

I have at 1993 d250 that i think is not gettin enough fuel, to turn the turbo on. It starts up ok, runs ok, when i hit it, gray smoke appears. Just lost about 5mpg, change filters, check wheels in turbo, no leaks in VE Pump outside. Truck was gettin 22mpg, now its gets 17 and the turbo seems not to kick in. Could somebody possible tell me what to look at, im a Newbie. I USE TO HIT IT AND BLACK SMOKE WOULD APPEAR, NOW GRAY SMOKE APPEARS.

97cummins 12-23-2013 02:32 AM

to turn the turbo on??????
Did you clean the pre-filter? or you could have a restriction somewhere.

dodgeramit10 12-30-2013 08:34 AM

you mean spool the turbo?...... if you think your not getting enough fuel, and you havent done anything diffrent latley.... your lift pump may be bad leaving it up to your injection pump to pull the fuel from the tank.... of corse this is all if you havent already replaced your lift pump.

cougar 12-30-2013 02:10 PM

Could also be the winter blend of fuel. Turning in the smoke screw a turn may help spool up.
One way to find out if you have a fuel supply issue is see if the power flattens out before you reach the governor. It should pull the same all the way to the governor.

Chilired007 01-01-2014 08:58 PM

Well im not that mechanically inclined, at 60mph if i hit the gas, smoke is not black no more. Have not changed lift pump yet. The truck has the same Inj pump from new, with 165k miles

illinoisfox 01-02-2014 07:13 AM

If you are sure it isn't an air restriction, then look at the fuel system.

Has the timing slipped?

Are you sure there is fuel pressure.
I have seen algea form in the tank and plug the sock filter in the tank. NAPA and others sell ageacide. If you think this is it, remove the fuel line at the filter and try to blow threw it into the tank. Remove the cap and have someone listen for bubbles.

novapat 01-02-2014 10:04 AM

VE,s cant slip timing... go after inj. filter , lift pump , last inj pump!!

cougar 01-05-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by novapat (Post 1042278)
VE,s cant slip timing... go after inj. filter , lift pump , last inj pump!!

Yes they can. The keys have been known to wear and eventually shear between the gear and the shaft, most often on the crank. But the only way you can find it is to remove the timing cover.

novapat 01-05-2014 02:33 PM

Then it came loose!!! It was not torqued. The keys wont wear if it doesn't move... movement= wear... if a ve is put together right and torqued they don't slip timing!! There not like a p pump!!

cougar 01-12-2014 10:52 AM

Okay the, I'll just ignore the pictures in threads I've read on other forums and adhere to your "expert" opinion. They can move even after being torqued properly, like so many other bolts on these engines. CHECK THEM!