1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

need help asap!!! have to bleed it every time i start it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
You guys need to go back to the books. Let it sit for a while, don't try n fire it up n see if there's any prime at the LP the diaghram in them often goes bad n will drain fuel back to the tank.
Yup and often rusted or cracked fuel lines do the same

Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
Yup and often rusted or cracked fuel lines do the same

Kinda hard when fuel lines on these trucks are hard plastic. besideds I've had 3 1st gens do it to me. always been the lift pump.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
Try bumping the engine a bit to make sure the pump lever is up on the cam.

That's what these forums are for - people who don't have the necessary books and/or experience. Not jackwagon know-it-alls.
I'm sorry you guys are giving things that are like 1 in a million. the stock 1st gen lift pumps are bad for bleeding back

Last edited by 1stgenblowingsmoke; 01-08-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Diesel Bomber

Oh I see, hard plastic dosn't crack ....... Especially in the cald weather right ? Oh no I see since you've had 3 do it out of millions of trucks, thats all it could be

Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lift pump is a very possibly the issue. It could very possibly be an air leak somewhere else but a lift pump is fairly cheap and it probably would not hurt to replace it anyways so it won't leave you stranded i'm the future. That would be the easiest place to start

And there is no reason to be an a$$ about the guys answer to the problem. Yes he has only had 3 first Gens but that is more than about everybody and by his word this has been his fix to this problem every time. Also the lift pump is a common cause of this symptom...so

Last edited by cumminskid92; 01-08-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
turbo2332 (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i replaced the LP with an electric fuel pump. it bleeds way faster now and i can prime it before turning it over but it still doesnt start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im going f-ing nuts!!!. every line has band clamps now and no more lift pump. my main fuel screw is leaking a little bit of fuel so how do i get a new o-ring without buying a whole kit for the ve pump?

The following users liked this post:
cumminskid92 (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Diesel Wrench

Well there's your problem. Your fuel screw o-ring is letting air into the injection pump. The reason you can get away with the fuel flowing back with an electric LP is as soon as you turn the key n wait to for the wait to start light to go out the fuel is already back at the injection pump.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by cumminskid92
The lift pump is a very possibly the issue. It could very possibly be an air leak somewhere else but a lift pump is fairly cheap and it probably would not hurt to replace it anyways so it won't leave you stranded i'm the future. That would be the easiest place to start

And there is no reason to be an a$$ about the guys answer to the problem. Yes he has only had 3 first Gens but that is more than about everybody and by his word this has been his fix to this problem every time. Also the lift pump is a common cause of this symptom...so
OK so I'm supposed to put up with someone being an A$$ to me and not return it

Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
You seem to know alot about this problem for a guy drives a P-pump and doesn't like VE's.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
You seem to know alot about this problem for a guy drives a P-pump and doesn't like VE's.
I only have a p-pump because my VE had a cracked block when I got it. I found two 12v's in my area both sitting next to eachother one was a 93 VE with 330 km KM on it, dirty as could be n BLACK oil. Or the 95 p-pump with a new head n 180 horse injection pump with less mileage and a golden colored oil with 303k KM and it was clean. Plus the guy wanted more money for the VE so I took the p-pump n grew to like it a lot for the topend power it has over my modded out VE. If it wasn't for the VE costing more I'd still be running a VE with 100 horse injectors, timing to the head, maxed pump, turbo, fuel pin, piston lift pump, e-fans exhaust n intake.

I never said I didn't like them just grew past them. I have had 3 trucks all with VE's I'm not stupid when it comes to them.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i got a new o ring and it seemed to fix the problem...then it sat over night and didnt start again!!!! so i kept looking and the fuel supply line that goes from the filter to the VE pump was leaking a tiny bit where it bolts to the VE pump... maybe it was also sucking in air there too? i took the line off and im getting a new one tomorrow. god i hope this is the final leak to this system.... im tired of it not starting up without a bleed

Quick Reply: need help asap!!! have to bleed it every time i start it!!!