12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOH-KID
with people looking to black smoke comes emmissions this is why the new ford and dodge trucks come with eurea exhaust systems, wat you know bout the air coming out is cleaner than when it went in, and i feel like we are forgetting black smoke is a trade mark that gasser's cant produce and still be healthy
are you inbred?? exhaust smoke has never been or never will be cleaner than the air we breathe, at least not in colorado, where the F$%# you from cali???? do your diesel a favor and sell it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Chevy355mark
whoever said smoke is not making power, a waist of fuel, ect is a fool. what do you think all that extra fuel does? creates heat and volume in the exhaust, which in turn spools the turbo up. all that smoke is what it spooling that turbo up, and then not only did it spool the turbo up in a hurry, now you have all the fuel right there ready to go now that the motor needs it to run with all that air the turbo is now providing. a quick puff of smoke is typical of a diesel performing at its peek, its not a waist of fuel, not just too look cool. now putting it to the floor in 5th gear and rolling a cloud, yea thats a waist, its the price you pay tho... imo you simpky cant expect to make power without smoke especially on these trucks, the tuning is very limited, give it enough fuel to light up that turbo and run strong, its gonna end up smoking.

the starwheel is whats going to give you smoke and drive the turbo harder, its the adjustment for pre-boost fueling basically, the fuel plate determines how much fuel the pump is going to deliver. you can also crank the governor springs in 3 clicks, iv discovered that this makes an enormous difference, most people dont do it tho, not sure why. governer springs dial back your fuel with rpms, its what makes these trucks have such a horrible cruise, play around with the governor springs and its like moving the gas pedal back an inch basically, you just get alot more pedal where you used to cruise near the floor on the highway. its kind of funny to me that this motor is making so much power with literally 0$ invested into the engine, just turn up the wastegate, play with the pump, not even a set of governor springs for me, just cranked in the stock ones , talk about making cheap hp, nothing compares to these trucks!

EDIT: o yea, i forgot you do have to invest 6$ into a can of red paint... so it at least looks like it a badass engine, right?
wow dude write a book on it.. smoke IS UNBURNT FUEL, wasted, if you can add enough fuel to give you more power without ungodly amounts of EXCESSIVE black smoke on a street truck go for it. but when its spewing out your tailpipe like diarrea its WASTEFUL! and with diesel at $4.00 a gallon go ahead and waste your "hard earned money" if you really think its cool. a little smoke before the turbo spools is fine, but you ******* who ask about smoke instead of power are the reason for emmisions testing, end of story. IGNORANCE IS BLISS RIGHT???

Last edited by RattleBomb7.3; 03-21-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following 3 users liked this post by RattleBomb7.3:
901stgen (03-23-2011), angelic0- (03-23-2011), bluedieselram (03-23-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RattleBomb7.3
are you inbred?? exhaust smoke has never been or never will be cleaner than the air we breathe, at least not in colorado, where the F$%# you from cali???? do your diesel a favor and sell it.

wow dude write a book on it.. smoke IS UNBURNT FUEL, wasted, if you can add enough fuel to give you more power without ungodly amounts of EXCESSIVE black smoke on a street truck go for it. but when its spewing out your tailpipe like diarrea its WASTEFUL! and with diesel at $4.00 a gallon go ahead and waste your "hard earned money" if you really think its cool. a little smoke before the turbo spools is fine, but you ******* who ask about smoke instead of power are the reason for emmisions testing, end of story. IGNORANCE IS BLISS RIGHT???
im aware that smoke is unburnt fuel, once the turbo lights up you should no longer be smoking. all the fuel was waisted while your waiting on the turbo, its just what you have to put up with since turbos dont make boost instantly, if you want to not waist fuel thats fine, youl make the same power once the turbos spooled up and your on your way but everything is going to get going slower, the turbo will take longer to spool, and once it does then depending on how you have everything tuned you still may not have as much fuel as you could use because your so concerned with not making that initial puff of smoke that your really sacrificing giving it enough fuel to run at its max potential. tune it how you want, you can make it like a banks truck thats nothing more then a dyno queen but if you want the truck to run at its max, you have to put up with the first little puff of smoke before everything gets moving.

and honestly these trucks are an absolute joke to tune anyway, im arguing with people here who dont really even know what goes into tuning something real deal, iv actually tuned vehicles with one of them there fancy electronic fuel injection! i have efi live and tunerpro on my laptop and have tuned various vehicles and i can honestly say these old doges have very little fuel adjustments, fixed timing, really primitive peices of equipment, they really just end up smoking a bit if you want to get them in the ballpark. if you want to talk about smoke control you really need something with a timing table and a mass airflow sensor. a truck that actually does make close to the same power without dumping any smoke is a really finely tuned truck, your sitting here arguing me that you can get these turcks "fine" tuned with nothing more then a boost reference, rpm reference and a fixed amount of injection timing... really?

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 03-22-2011 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
angelic0- (03-23-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 06:15 PM
BRE
Diesel Wrench
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes there is fixed timing and some problems to be faced but a 12v can be tuned. Enough know how with an afc and your there. Are things going to be perfect, no. But in no fair way can you bring EFI live in here or something against a 12v, two totally different things.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy355mark
im aware that smoke is unburnt fuel, once the turbo lights up you should no longer be smoking. all the fuel was waisted while your waiting on the turbo, its just what you have to put up with since turbos dont make boost instantly, if you want to not waist fuel thats fine, youl make the same power once the turbos spooled up and your on your way but everything is going to get going slower, the turbo will take longer to spool, and once it does then depending on how you have everything tuned you still may not have as much fuel as you could use because your so concerned with not making that initial puff of smoke that your really sacrificing giving it enough fuel to run at its max potential. tune it how you want, you can make it like a banks truck thats nothing more then a dyno queen but if you want the truck to run at its max, you have to put up with the first little puff of smoke before everything gets moving.

and honestly these trucks are an absolute joke to tune anyway, im arguing with people here who dont really even know what goes into tuning something real deal, iv actually tuned vehicles with one of them there fancy electronic fuel injection! i have efi live and tunerpro on my laptop and have tuned various vehicles and i can honestly say these old doges have very little fuel adjustments, fixed timing, really primitive peices of equipment, they really just end up smoking a bit if you want to get them in the ballpark. if you want to talk about smoke control you really need something with a timing table and a mass airflow sensor. a truck that actually does make close to the same power without dumping any smoke is a really finely tuned truck, your sitting here arguing me that you can get these turcks "fine" tuned with nothing more then a boost reference, rpm reference and a fixed amount of injection timing... really?
wow........efi live and tuner pro.......coming from you i'm........not impressed. by the lack of knowledge you've expressed i'm waiting for your expertise to make a million horsepower

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=RattleBomb7.3;726964]are you inbred?? exhaust smoke has never been or never will be cleaner than the air we breathe, at least not in colorado, where the F$%# you from cali???? do your diesel a favor and sell it.

doesnt audi now have a car thats exhuast is cleaner than the air it takes in?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah, if you live in the city. personally, i choose to live where the air is crisp and clean and where america is still free

The following 2 users liked this post by Dieselfunohio:
angelic0- (03-23-2011), madmikeismad (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselfunohio
yeah, if you live in the city. personally, i choose to live where the air is crisp and clean and where america is still free
DAM RIGHT!!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well then go get u a Toyota or some lil car

Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

funny story is my dad has always said smoke is just unburnt fuel and ur wasting money... and he talked ****... until i started haulin cattle with him... i got right around 10 mpgs and he got 7... and i should easily have 200+ hp more than him.. i've heard the saying a perfectly tuned diesel wont smoke... i disagree.... if u are shoooting for the best combo of hp/mpg/and efficiency.. it will heavy haze pre-boost and all but clear up full boost... and even i still have them moments when i'm like i'll show this f&*^er and black stack him.. but mine does smoke because i built it for power... get your reasong straight and u will be golden bud...

Old 03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nicey put

The following users liked this post:
1st_gen_puller (03-23-2011)

Quick Reply: Smoke