Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Blown Head Gasket? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/58273-blown-head-gasket.html)

cumminspwr11 09-08-2010 01:18 PM

Blown Head Gasket?

so i noticed that when i do a brake stand and hold it about 5-8psi of boost my engine temp will shoot to the red line, but it doesnt do it any other time, i have pull big loads, gone 90+ on a 7% grade and it all runs normal, it would also pop the plastic radiator flush tee that i had on the heater hoses so i took that out and replaced it with a brass barb, i have notice a little coolant that leaks out of the head between the block and head right below the thermostat housing but it only does it about once or twice a month in the summer months, also im always low on radiator fluid an i check it about every month

does this sound like a head problem or something else?? i know i need a new fan clutch right now but i dont think that will affect whats going on

Lil Red Express 09-08-2010 01:41 PM

Any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant?

Farmboy 2.0 09-08-2010 01:57 PM

Any white smoke? Any seepage around the water pump? Oil in coolant as stated above.

cumminspwr11 09-08-2010 02:24 PM

no the coolant is nice and green and the oil is black with no water in it, the leak isnt from the water pump its nice and dry but you can see where its seeped out from the hg and block, as for white smoke there is some at idel but i attribute that to there begin motor oil and atf in the tank,
it didnt not have white smoke before i started running tons of motor oil (over 50%) but i have since cut back on burning it since i dont get alot but there is still a little mixed in the tank- do you think the white smoke could also be from the coolant burning?

i was going to get a pressure gauge for the raditor and do a brake stand and see if it builds excessive pressure in there- i have test a few 6.0s this way to find their head probelms

Farmboy 2.0 09-08-2010 04:44 PM

How many miles on truck? Heasdstuds? When you take off and start hot rodding it has the coolant gauge came off 140?

cumminspwr11 09-08-2010 05:23 PM

154,xxx, no studs yet just whats in my sig. when i start to do a stand the temps normally between 140-160 and then after im done and bother to look at the gauges its over 220*, i dont do brake stands that much so i didnt think that much of it at first but lately i have been paying attention more and watching my coolant level and found the leak when i swapped my intercooler and fixed the kdp

Farmboy 2.0 09-08-2010 05:38 PM

I think that you prolly blew your headgasket between the water jackets

tiremann9669 09-08-2010 07:09 PM

Are you sure it's there and not the thermostat inner seal, mine was leaking there :c:

Farmboy 2.0 09-08-2010 07:12 PM

It could be there too. But ive seen a few truck that blew a head gasket there

Lil Red Express 09-08-2010 09:37 PM

I'm thinkin HG. When I blew mine it would leak out the front of the head when the truck got up to operating temp. No oil or coolant mixing just an external leak.