Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Lift Pump Symptoms (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/57727-lift-pump-symptoms.html)

ktfroy 09-09-2010 08:05 PM

I was hoping to avoid going that route but didn't have that recommendation-

I can see a straight shot to the pump if I take off the inside wheel shroud. but it has plastic rivets holding it in place which would need to be cut and then there's the issue of how to replace it.

Biggest challenge of repairs for me is not to end up with twice as many things to fix as I started with....:dang:

kazairl 09-09-2010 08:46 PM

I've done one from up top and one from below. Doing it from the top is marginally easier.

tiremann9669 09-09-2010 10:14 PM

Best way is right through the wheelwell, drill out the plastic rivets and remove the plastic inner fender. I then took a sawzall and cut out a little of the steel inner fender (the plastic covers it anyways) and the fuel pump is right there in front of you. It's a lot easier than pullin the starter and reachin up if you don't have access to a lift. You can get the plastic rivets at the parts store for like 40 cents each. :c:

bowtech 09-09-2010 11:38 PM

the starter is easy to take off its the easiest part of the whole deal lol and you can lay under the truck have lots of space to work your going to need it to when you try to get the bolts back in and every thing lined up. be faster then taking off fender and cutting your truck up

tiremann9669 09-10-2010 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by bowtech (Post 618625)
the starter is easy to take off its the easiest part of the whole deal lol and you can lay under the truck have lots of space to work your going to need it to when you try to get the bolts back in and every thing lined up. be faster then taking off fender and cutting your truck up

Who said anything about taking off the fender? I said the plastic splash shield, and I cut my inner fender BEHIND where the splash shield covers it. I just changed mine a couple months ago so I thought I would offer my .02, If you know the best way to do it Go for it

ktfroy 09-10-2010 08:28 AM

Thx for the responses. I was gonna head over to napa and see what they had for reattaching that shroud. I can see without removing it that the pump is right there - straight shot. But I can see some of the fender might still be in the way.

Tough choice

tiremann9669 09-10-2010 09:25 AM

I only had to cut out a small piece of the steel inner fender, like 3''x3'' and starting the bolts is a piece of cake through the wheelwell :c:

ktfroy 09-10-2010 09:31 AM

Thanks -definitely a big help with that tip.
:c:

bowtech 09-11-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by tiremann9669 (Post 618653)
Who said anything about taking off the fender? I said the plastic splash shield, and I cut my inner fender BEHIND where the splash shield covers it. I just changed mine a couple months ago so I thought I would offer my .02, If you know the best way to do it Go for it

i just changed mine last week and from what i saw from under with the starter off looked easiest to me. no need to get but hurt, there are 3 different opinions here one from top one from side one from bottom. just check it out from each angle and you decide its straight forward i think the biggest thing is getting the fuel line off and on with out stripping or kinking it. just take your time and don't get frustrated :tu:

tiremann9669 09-11-2010 09:48 PM

I didn't have any problem getting the fuel line off and on. Did you get your system bled ? I see you're lookin for an injection pump :c: