Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Hazing on idle, is my timing advanced or retarded (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/122145-hazing-idle-my-timing-advanced-retarded.html)

wpg6.5 07-15-2014 05:25 PM

Hazing on idle, is my timing advanced or retarded

Hey guys, new to the cummins side of this forum. I have a 12 valve cummin in my Chevy. Just did a bit of work to it and now it hazes a fair bit of greyish white smoke on first start of the day after sitting all night. It did it before but not as much. I always figured the truck had a fair amount of timing advance as I read somewhere that close to 20 degrees will cause this. Since I put 90 horse injectors and hybrid delivery valves. Now it hazes quite a bit, cleans up after about 5-10 of idling and after sitting all day after driving to work it doesn't haze at all. Just a small puff of black smoke. So I'm wondering if this is timing advance or timing retard I'm dealing with. Don't wanna pay someone 300$ just to find out I have around 20 degrees because I'm ok with that. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

4x4manonbroke 07-15-2014 08:05 PM

Sounds fairly normal to me ... might toss a Tork-Tek OFV adjustable in the return side to boost the Fuel pressure .. Helped mine quite a bit ..:tu:

Larryb - ADJUSTABLE Overflow Valve for Dodge Cummins Diesel with Bosch P7100, 94-98.5

wpg6.5 07-16-2014 07:15 AM

Hmm, alrighty. To be honest it really isn't a bad haze at all. I might just be being paranoid. I just started it not even 10 min ago and haze is all gone. I should be ok fuel pressure wise as I have an air dog lift pump but I guess an adjustable banjo couldn't hurt.

4x4manonbroke 07-16-2014 11:27 AM

AHH.. if you would.. Fill out the Sig so we know all thats been done so we can suggest better what to do ... and yeah the air dog should be enough ... and a cold haze is normal for bumped timing and ff fuel plate ..:tu:

97cummins 07-17-2014 12:22 AM

The haze is nothing to worry about. Mine does the same thing.
I talked to a guy that works on cummins on motors, and he said that is from a little fuel leaking out of the injector and building on top of the piston. That haze is just after the motor starts and the fuel is burned up.

4x4manonbroke 07-17-2014 11:29 AM

Yup ... but i must admit .. after the OFV... it starts and idles better, and less haze all around .. :rocking:

wpg6.5 07-17-2014 10:56 PM

Just filled out my sig, id hope my injectors aren't leaking. they are brand new. Thanks for the input guys any info/opinion helps. Id like to go for 20 degrees but I'm not sure where i stand and if he did internal or on the motor timing so i don't want to fuck it up or pay a place out the ass to find out i have like 18 or something.

4x4manonbroke 07-17-2014 11:08 PM

Ok, If you dont have ARP studs or something comparable, your not gonna want to do much more than what your currently running or a leaking HG is real near !! :td:

wpg6.5 07-18-2014 07:04 AM

I have arp 625 custom aged studs I just installed. So I should be good. My head gasket was already leaking so I did it, studs, head work, injectors, dv's and a new exhaust manifold and intake horn.

4x4manonbroke 07-18-2014 10:58 AM

damn ... yeah, your covered ...

And the 625's should be good to around what 80+ psi ... LOL....
:rocking::choochoo::tu: