5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

'05 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 won't start

I'm sure this problem has been posted several times and beaten to death, but I still can't get my problem figured out. Bear with me, I'm an idiot and was mostly a spectator when it came to working on the truck, now ex-boyfriend said I'd never have any trouble with it.

Went to start my truck the other morning and it wouldn't turn over at all. All my accessory lights were coming on, everything worked, just nothing when I tried to start it. Tried jumping it off with no success. Friend came over with his volt measuring tool, and both by batteries came up as bad. Got them replaced and still nothing. We were able to jump it off by stripping the solenoid (?) wire and linking it to the battery, so not my starter or solenoid either. Pulled all my fuses and relays and they're all fine.

We opened up my steering column to check the parking interlock, and everything under my dash has the appropriate power and circuit. My friend that was checking all this for me says he's pretty sure the issue is somewhere between the starter relay switch and the parking interlock. What can go out between those two things? We were hoping there was a fusible link, but can't find anything indicating that (and wouldn't you know, we were unable to get wiring diagrams this weekend because we have very non-helpful auto-part places).

My truck is basically hotwired at the moment so that I can drive it, but we're out of things to try.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Go back to the IPM and make sure you have power at pin 30 and 85 of the starter relay with key on. Then check pin 86 to ground with either clutch pushed in or truck in park and then try neutral. Should have close to 0 ohms. You should be able to jump pin 30 and 87 and start truck.