5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

fuel delivery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel delivery issue?

a couple months ago i had been driving my truck from store to store and when i was about to go home at the last stop it would'nt start. after cranking on it for awhile it finally started.
(it drove fine). it didnt do it for a couple of weeks then one day after i had been driving it around and i went inside to a shop then came back out and it would start up. i left it in the parking lot over night and the next day it fired right up. it drives completly fine when its running. if you let it sit for a awhile it will crank and crank and wont start but if you let it sit over night it starts every time. no surges, no mpg problems no nothing except it wont start when hot. i took it into a diesel performance shop and they said my injectors were loose and they thought they fixed the problem. thhen it started to do it again. i took it to dodge after that and they said it was my injector pump. before i spend that kind of money to replace my pump i need some ideas.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having the same problem...i replaced the lift pump, because it was going bad anyways and i thought that, that could of been the starting problem, but it still does it. Does yours do a weird rattle noise for like a half second when it fires up? mine does when it starts hard. It runs great, no power loss, or MPG issues either. My cousin is a big rig diesel mechanic, i talked to him about it and he said it could be a sensor in the injection pump that's not regulating the start up fuel pressure, or something like that. He said since its running fine and not blowing white or a ton of black smoke it probably not a injection pump or injectors. He bets it that sensor. He doesn't know for sure but he would bet money on it. I would take my truck to him but he lives 8hrs away from me.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM

no rattle noise at all. it just having issues when its hot. dodge also said that it was the injector pump because they was no fuel pressure when it was acting up. it just doesnt make sence to me because it it runs fine when and starts fine cold. from what ive been told is that there would be other issues with it if the injector pump was going out. people were saying that it could be a actuator on the pump. im on deployment right now till summer so its hard for me to work on the truck when im not there.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah I found an actuator for $120.00 on genos garage website I might give that a shot before I start looking into a new pump. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Something to keep in mind is that Dodge doesn't replace the FCA separately of the CP3...they simply replace the CP3/FCA as a unit. Doesn't make sense to me, but the last I checked (granted, its been a long time) Dodge didn't list an FCA as a replacement part...to replace the FCA, you bought a CP3 (which is also a Star item, requiring their approval).

Point is...Dodge may say its the CP3 when its simply the FCA...

Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

steved, gm used to also replace the whole pump when the fca needed servicing but, I know for at least 2 years now the fca is servicable seperately at dodge and gm. Dont know what they are wanting to replace the whole pump.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm guessing FCA means fuel control actuator? So can I just replace that part? If so how hard is it to do?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyT
I'm guessing FCA means fuel control actuator? So can I just replace that part? If so how hard is it to do?
Correct, FCA is the fuel control actuator...

A connector and two small Torx head screws...about five minutes if you know what you're doing. Make sure you have the correct Torx driver...those screws are easy to strip out.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM

thanks for the advice i will give it a try when i get back from deployment