5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

will not start below 40 unless plugged in

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will not start below 40 unless plugged in

My 03 cummins will not start on a cold morning unless it has been plugged in. When we had our first cold snap, it did this. I replaced both batteries. I didn't have any trouble after, but it didn't get cold. It got cold again and it would not start. Later in the day, it was warmer, and it fired right up. I thought it may have just been caused by sitting for over a week. Next morning at 25, same problem. Later it fires right up. we have been plugging in since without problem. When it wouldn't start it threw a P0148. This code hasn't come up again since. It is however giving me a P0480 and a P0521. I thought maybe my grid heaters weren't working, but when I crank it, the lights cycle dim/bright like they are working. I don't know if the fuel heater would even come into play at these temps. I replaced transfer pump and fuel filter about 10-12k ago. Most of my research points to injectors, but once running, it runs great, not smoke or rough running. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelm
My 03 cummins will not start on a cold morning unless it has been plugged in. When we had our first cold snap, it did this. I replaced both batteries. I didn't have any trouble after, but it didn't get cold. It got cold again and it would not start. Later in the day, it was warmer, and it fired right up. I thought it may have just been caused by sitting for over a week. Next morning at 25, same problem. Later it fires right up. we have been plugging in since without problem. When it wouldn't start it threw a P0148. This code hasn't come up again since. It is however giving me a P0480 and a P0521. I thought maybe my grid heaters weren't working, but when I crank it, the lights cycle dim/bright like they are working. I don't know if the fuel heater would even come into play at these temps. I replaced transfer pump and fuel filter about 10-12k ago. Most of my research points to injectors, but once running, it runs great, not smoke or rough running. Thanks in advance for any help.
X2 on the P0480 code and the P0336 code! My understanding is the 0336 is the crank sensor. Does anyone know what the P0480 code is? I did a search but have not seen it yet!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bftrain
Yea, I wish I could take a look at that bftrain! I tried to register on the cummins forum and their "STUPID" form thinks I'm a spammer when I try to sign up! Did it twice, f'um!
I did some more searching and found the P0480 to be a fan clutch problem? I checked my fuse box and I don't see a fan clutch fuse! I did get it to start. I hooked my battery charger to it and after about 2 hours it fired right up! What? My batteries are bad? and the fan clutch is turning!

Last edited by hoofdoctor; 03-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically says to check the fuses, the wiring on the fan clutch that can get ripped out and one guy chimed in that he had to replace his fan clutch to get them to go away.
Bad batteries can cause a lot a problems, if voltage is dropping below 9.6 volts when cranking then the computer gets shut off.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Anybody have a pic of the fuse box cover for an 03? I have this same problem with the 0480 and 0483 but I don't have the cover and the dealer says they can't order just the cover or print me out a diagram of it. Any help or links are appreciated. I have gone through and checked all the fuses and they all checked out except for like 3 that didn't have power at all

Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bubbacummins
Anybody have a pic of the fuse box cover for an 03? I have this same problem with the 0480 and 0483 but I don't have the cover and the dealer says they can't order just the cover or print me out a diagram of it. Any help or links are appreciated. I have gone through and checked all the fuses and they all checked out except for like 3 that didn't have power at all
I had those same fuses show nothing when I tested them. I can get you a photo tomorrow if you still need it. You may have to send me a PM to remind me.....Butch

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Hoofdoctor,
I'd really appreciate the photo, been away from the com for awhile so didn't get your message till now. No big hurry on it just whenever you get a chance.

Thanks,
Russell

Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bubbacummins
Hoofdoctor,
I'd really appreciate the photo, been away from the com for awhile so didn't get your message till now. No big hurry on it just whenever you get a chance.

Thanks,
Russell
Russell....can you PM me a note with your direct email address. I'll email you the photo.....Butch

Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Ok well gotta have 10 posts so here's number 5

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

And 6

Last edited by bubbacummins; 03-29-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: will not start below 40 unless plugged in