5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

No power/ no boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No power/ no boost

Came back from a week long trip today and had to get my truck jumped. Finally got it started and then it just went into a limp mode. The battery gauge is reading nothing and i cant get boost. Which I find funny because i think i should be able to because i have a BD killer b so the truck shouldn't be able to waste gate it and an Edge. I'm charging the batteries right now so if that makes it better guess it is time for some new ones

Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant think of a electrical problem that would not allow you to get boost.Your trip sounds alot like mine i went on a 5 day trip.when i started back home i lost all but 5lbs of boost.i got home pulled the turbo thinking the bearings were shot.then i took off the waste gate actuator got a 1/4 inch tee 0 to 100 psi gauge put only 10lbs of pressure on it and the rod started to move which told me the diaphragm spring was bad causing premature waste gate opening allowing boost to go to the exhaust when it should be holding 40lbs.I cant say for sure this is your problem but if all else fails check it and see.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I changed the battery and the truck started right up and was running could build boost just sitting there. then it turned off and it wont start at all. I can hear the airdog running so i know that is working. I also have the check engine light on along with that little red light in the dash is flashing at me. I'm at a loss on this problem.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Get the codes scanned

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Diesel Fan

get it scaned so youll know where to start

Old 11-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i will once i can. been super busy working getting ready for the air show here in Vegas

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok didnt think i would be this fast to reply but turns out my roomate had a code reader. So no code came up with that no codes on my edge and no code with the key turning. but still the flashing security light

Last edited by pngmotoman; 11-12-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Diesel Fan

The red security light may be flashing because you aren't getting enough power. It'll make it so you can't start your truck but your accessories and fuel pump will still kick on. My truck did the same thing as far as no boost and limp mode. It ended up being that my map sensor had failed. But I had a couple codes trip when mine did it, although they weren't for the map sensor itself. I'd try checking your battery cables and/or get new batteries and maybe check out your map sensor. Its a shot in the dark but I hope it helps. Good luck!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I missed the part about you putting a new battery in it. It would be worth checking the cables, grounding points, and terminal connectors since you know you're getting the juice.

Last edited by Ambitious; 11-12-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well got the alternator checked and it was good. Took out the map sensor and cleaned it. Truck tried to start for half a second then went back to just cranking. Guess I'll order a map sensor and try that out now. I'm just super lost with this problem

Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would replace the batteries and see if that helps, especially since you said after the full charge and the truck starting right up you had boost. Plus, this sounds like the cheapest place to start.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

both batteries are replaced and alternator tested

Quick Reply: No power/ no boost