Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

OK. My little brother just bought a NICE 2006 2500 Big Horn 4x4 with the auto trans and 3.73 gearing. Truck has 30,000 miles on it and is bone stock... tires and all. While he thinks he's satisfied with the power (he'll learn) he wants ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

Default Best mod for MPG's?

OK. My little brother just bought a NICE 2006 2500 Big Horn 4x4 with the auto trans and 3.73 gearing. Truck has 30,000 miles on it and is bone stock... tires and all. While he thinks he's satisfied with the power (he'll learn) he wants to maximise the fuel economy as it will be his daily driver. He's already ordered a cold air intake (AEM Brute Force HD) and trying to decide if he wants to lose the CAT and keep the stock exhaust (4" from the factory but unnessesary bends) or go with an aftermarket exhaust. I do know he wants to keep it reletively quiet, so a muffler of some kind will be used.

Big question he wants to know is what programmer/module offers the most MPG gains in a normally driven truck? I know there a quite a few geared toward just mileage gains with a little power increase thrown in as a bonus (like the Edge Mileage Max), but I have no experience with them.

What has been you guy's best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to increasing MPG's?

dieseldude03's Sig:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2003 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, QC, long bed. Cummins H.O., 6-speed, 4.10 axle gearing, Jake Brake, AEM Brute Force HD cai, AFE Blade Runner intake horn, Summit Racing 4" SS Exhaust, Edge "HOT" Juice w/ Attitude, DDP 50hp Injectors, Air Dog-100, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, 33 x 12.50 ProComp Extreme All Terrains, South Bend Con OFE, various other gizmos.

"Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much worthless, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!"

Last edited by dieseldude03; 03-07-2010 at 05:26 PM..
Old 03-07-2010, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

Luke Buchanan lukesdiesel

5" Expandit Kit and either a Smarty Jr or Smarty.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Status: After i got my License plate nobody wants to Play???

View Member's Albums

Yeah what he said!!

dangerous1965's Sig:Goodies so far S&B intake,Silver bullet 64,AFE Stainless steel manifold, 90hp sticks, Head studs, 5" exhaust,SMARTY SSR,Airdog 150, 1/2" big Line kit,Gutted lift pump housing with draw straw Mod, T&C diesel CP-3,MP-8 at Half power, Custom intake with heater grid delete High Ram Intake, Built tranny, More guages than can be expected! 225 70r 19.5 tires at 80psi nitrous for laughs!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

open pipes up, and i am not overly satisfied with the brute force intake. they are kinda hard to clean, the kits you can buy i don't think do as nice a job as others, and also they don't hold up well when you drop them on the ground....................for some reason the insides seem to break up and it "colapses" on itself, that is when some how it gets droped...................

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also i didn't see much increase with the juice, but i wasnt' really looking for mpg's they are pretty much the same on stock or level one, just smokes a little more, and i guess thats why it don't help much

cumminsdad08's Sig:04.5 2500 quad cab Cummins Turbo Diesel HO 6spd-4in fabtec, 35-12.5x17 on american racing, cold air, high ram, edge juice with attitude, and a set of bass fish decals (they help with the HP)

Last edited by cumminsdad08; 03-07-2010 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

He had a Brute Force HD on his '03 before he sold it and liked it pretty well (sounded good and didn't have to oil it), but it went with the truck. I've gotten a pretty good mileage increase with my "hot" Juice, mostly on level 3, but he's not wanting the extra power/stress of a full-blown programmer/module.

I was looking at the Superchips site and they have a programmer that claims up to a 20% increase in fuel mileage on diesels. A few guys at the shop use the Flashpak's on their 6L Chevy gassers and claim 2-3 mpg increase, which ain't bad on a truck that get 10 mpg stock!

Edge and Quadzilla also offer "mileage Max" modules but again, I don't have any experience with them. Anyone tried them?

Last edited by dieseldude03; 03-07-2010 at 05:27 PM..
Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Diesel Wrench

Send a message via Yahoo to CreeperSleeper View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

I'm running a Superchip Flashpak on "Tow" and it has given me at least 3 mpgs.

CreeperSleeper's Sig:Chad
Cascade Cruisers - Jefferson State Cruisers - Toyota Land Cruiser Association
facebook.com/CreeperSleeper - facebook.com/CascadeCruisers - facebook.com/McCulloch.Insurance

'05 Ram 2500 QCLB - 48RE by Lake Oswego Trans. Unlimited, leveling kit, 315 Kellys, Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ PV2, MIA silencer, 5" MBRP turbo-back, Raider Vagabond topper, Firestone Ride-Rite, AirDog 150, K&N Intake w/ aFe DryFlow filter

'97 Land Cruiser The build-up thread.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Status: You can mount a turbo on a cats butt with a big enough hammer!

I've tried the EZ Edge,Edge Mileage Max and finally bought a Smarty Sr POD. The Smarty wins in mileage,torque,horsepower,hell- all around driveability. I'm still playing with the setting and I've seen about 1.5-2.0 increase in fuel mileage. I finally saw 16 mpg even with the winter fuel. I can't member the last time I got 16 mpg. Better then the Mileage Max and I don't have CC issues now that I'm using the Smarty. I paid $650 locally for my Smarty and would buy another if I was in the market.

retirednak's Sig:
3500 DRW Laramie Sport
5" BD Exhaust
Volant cold air intake w/ram air
Smarty POD (EZ Edge & Mileage Max for SALE)
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

its all in the timing ...... 30 day money back

Bob Wagner's Sig:http://smartypower.com

Home of the Smarty

SJ67 Smarty JUNIOR 6.7L shipping NOW
Old 03-16-2010, 05:34 PM

i've got a super chip for a 06 dodge for sale it help me out alot on mpg I've got a smarty on it now and don't get as good mpg with it but the power on the smarty is more
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Diesel Wrench

Send a message via Yahoo to CreeperSleeper View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Don't worry, Bob. I will have a Smarty on mine someday! The Superchip is just a stop-gap until my financial situation gets better!

submit to reddit