5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

towing with smarty

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

On the flip side, water\meth is just a bandaid for poor design and substandard parts. It is like putting a bandaid on and amputation, it offers some relief but the efficacy is highly questionable.

It does nothing for the turbo and only lowers observed EGT's. The problem with lower observed EGT's is that difference has not disappeared, laws of energy don't get broken. All that extra temp has gone into the piston and ultimatey the oil and cooling system, sometimes with disastrous results.

Most of the perceived HP gain is not a gain but rather more complete combustion of the available fuel. That is a double edged sword in a diesel engine. The higher efficiency of the combustion event translates to higher cylinder pressures and more heat soak in the cylinder. Trying to change that absorbtion rate in a deep spray bowl has it drawbacks.

The introduction of alcohol into a diesel engine on a regular basis is like playing with fire. Alcohol does not react well with diesel to begin with, and, with the added heat of combustion it produces some nasty caustic compounds that are not good for the engine or exhaust system.

It is not all sunshine and roses, there is a darker side to the water\meth scenario.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Be it as it may, Ive used a w/m kit for many years with no negative effects. The mix use is quite diluted. I have a 10 gallon tank mounted in the bed. My primary tank fill up is with 5 gals of 0* winshield washer fluid, and another 5 gals of distilled water to top it off. Im not sure what that brings the dilution %age to, but it works for my needs. Ive heard of other guys using a 70% meth/30% water mix. As far as Im concerned, "Good luck to them!"
Hell, Im even running a w/m kit on my other dually with a supercharged big block. It works really well on that beast.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, there are uses for water meth injection, but, it has to be used with an eye towards what one is trying to solve.

Water\meth on a gas engine with half the compression and a third the cylinder pressures and temps is an entirely different deal. In that case it is being used as a combustion inhibitor.

In a diesel engine it acts as a combustion catalyst in scenarios where it is used which is radically different than what happens in a gas engine.

Yes, percentage of alcohol makes a difference in the results and the only way to know what is going on is oil analysis. The problem is it is used as a stop gap measure for too much fuel and\or lack of air and a cheap power adder. That is totally different than using it to manage charge air density\temp which is what it is meant for.

There is no cheap power adder, the price will be paid somewhere. All I am saying is there is a lot more to water\meth injection than ever gets exposed or discussed or weighed in the consideration of it. Everyone can do a they like, not saying don't do it. Just painting the whole picture that frequently gets ignored.

Off hand, I can think of a dozen instances towing where water\meth was used in conjunction with certain power mods, and, even though observed EGT's never exceeded the standard 1300 degree limit melted pistons were still the result. The root cause of the faiures was undenaibly heat soak in the piston.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Cerberus60, I must clarify my statement about running a w/m kit on my supercharged big block dually. After reading it again, it implies that Im running a water/meth mix, when in fact Im running only distilled water. My bad! ( I really need to run a progressive kit on that one.
Anyway, my oil analysis has always shown favorable results. Nothing really that would cause me any real concern. Maybe b/c I run such a low %age of meth I guess. My set-up consists of two 150cc nozzles pushed by 200 psi pump pressure @ 15psi of boost. Most of the time it doesnt come on until I see steep hills or mtn grades, or merging onto the fwy. I had my truck dynoed at a friend's shop just over a year ago. We did two runs, one without the w/m kit, and one run with the w/m kit. There was only a 37 hp difference, which to me was rather conservative. Im happy with that, and i have no desire to change it. Ya know?