5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New to Dodge haveing tranny Probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Dodge haveing tranny Probs

Hello guy i am new to this site. I picked up a dodge 3500 about a month ago. I had no problems with it till this pass sat on my way home from a 200 mile drive towing like 700 pounds. I got a check engine light codes are P1751 and P1753. Now it is shifting out of 1 at about 2400 rpm to 3k and feels like it is going right in to 3rd and dose not down shift when slowing down. I also feel a lost of power.
I have looked on all of the site to see what it can be.
So in the last 2 days i have changed the TTVA and changed the governor pressure solenoid and the Pressure Transducer.
Still having the problem. It just shift as hard out of 1st now but still in the high rpms.

Now what i did notice i have not seen the TTVA move at all when doing the 30s test with the key on new or old so i am going to return the new one for another one. (I also tested it off the shaft and nothin.
Also the shaft that the TTVA sits on do that move easy or should it be kinda hard to move. I am unable to move it with my fingers.
So any help would be great since i need to tow about 9k trailer/car this coming weekend.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

So you had the pan off and nothing in there good! May just need a band adjustment. The TTVA shaft will be too hard to turn by hand! Those are mechanical codes so something is wrong with the unit OR the valve body! Drop the pan and look at the band, band anchor and strut. If everything looks good give Goerend a call they are great at customer service and will have an answer for you! Google them!

Old 05-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
So you had the pan off and nothing in there good! May just need a band adjustment. The TTVA shaft will be too hard to turn by hand! Those are mechanical codes so something is wrong with the unit OR the valve body! Drop the pan and look at the band, band anchor and strut. If everything looks good give Goerend a call they are great at customer service and will have an answer for you! Google them!
I looked at the band but dint adjust it. I read on ow to adjust it but was not sure how much it needed. how much movement should the band move up and down?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM

I replaced the ttva with another new unit and the ttva still is not working. can it be a ECU prob? I checked all the wiring and looks good.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carmine Pace
I looked at the band but dint adjust it. I read on ow to adjust it but was not sure how much it needed. how much movement should the band move up and down?
to adjust the 2nd gear band .... it's on the driver's side of the tranny, just above the fluid outlet to cooler line, is the adjuster for the 2nd gear band. Loosen the 3/4" locknut, tighten the 5/16" hex or star bolt to 73in/lbs, (IN/LBS not FT/LBS)then loosen it 1 and 3/4 turns and retighten the 3/4" lock nut making sure not to move the set screw....
If that doesn't work or if you are trying to torque it and the screw goes all the way in then you need to pull the pan again because your anchor has gone mia.. i could be stuck inside by the servo lever or possibly the anchor and band strut got wedged together... i'm guessing if you're still driving it then it's fallen out by now... but hopefully the adjustment works for you!

the band shouldn't move up and down at all if it is then your band anchor probably came off.

Last edited by crazyrocks; 05-24-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:43 PM

ok so i adjusted the 2nd gear band and nothing. had to drive it this weekend to the track how it is. It is skipping 3nd gear and dose not like to down shift. I manually shifted it down and worked half the time. The TTVA is still not moving what else can be causing this issue.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

The codes indicate the throttle valve shaft is hanging inside the trans. The throtle valve has a tendency to wear a groove and jam when trying to open it. The TTVA will not overcome that and you get the 1753 code. It is a relatively tight spring so moving it by hand is tough. A small pair of vice grips on the shaft will help with that and you should be able to feel a catch. Best way to check to se if the TTVA is working is put a gauge on your apply pressure port, that will tell you if it is moving.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM

I was able to move the shaft with no probs once the vice grips were on. and I check the ttva on the shaft and off the shaft and dint get anything out of it. I am stumped on this problem.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

How did you test the TTVA for movement? On jack stand and running it up to 60 mph or so? If you don't you likely will see no movement becuase there is no wheel speed.

Even though you can move the TV lever it may hang when warm. Assuming you used a known good TTVA and your wiring is good, it is hard to diagnose the TV valve issues with a TTVA motor.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Buy a Goerend constant pressure VB and forget about the TTV!

Quick Reply: New to Dodge haveing tranny Probs