5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Excessive crankcase pressure, rough idle, and some blue smoke. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Excessive crankcase pressure, rough idle, and some blue smoke. Help!

I have a 2005 Dodge 24 valve Cummins. Two months ago my transmission roasted itself so I had it rebuilt and beefed up. When I got it back I had excessive crankcase pressure, a really rough idle and some blue smoke when cold. I took truck back to shop where I had the transmission rebuilt and he ran computer test and could not come up with any engine codes. He told me he thought it was a lazy injector (whatever that is) and advised me to run some fuel injector cleaner through the system and check back in a week. I ran 2 tanks of fuel with Lucas fuel cleaner but saw no improvement. Recently I have had to park the truck because cold starts are so rough on it. When I drove it last it smoked blue smoke for about a quarter of a mile and then cleared up.
I'm confused as to whether this is a bad injector or a mechanical problem inside the engine, or both. When the truck warms up the smoking ceases, I have plenty of power, but no matter what I have excessive crankcase pressure. Can someone please help me figure out this mess? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Have you checked your oil level? Blue smoke(oil) could be a couple different things, I'd check you oil level see where its at and check for fuel also in the oil. And from what ive heard nobody has much success with Lucas injector cleaner.. I'd run some cetene booster in it by power service. It's a silver bottle with red cap and see if that changes anything.. the excessive blow by could from your rings...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

can you hear a noises like ticking sounds or slight knock

Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds like broke rings! Do a search online lots to read!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks a lot y'all, I do appreciate you taking the time to help me. To the Minnesota country boy I checked the oil level and it is above normal (about two quarts). No smell of fuel on dip stick, but then I haven't driven it for 2 weeks. I will try that cetene booster you recommended. As far as the rings, that's my main question... I can have the injectors replaced or tear the entire engine down and bore it, but if simply replacing the injectors would fix my problem that would be great. I know blue smoke is oil, but I've also heard blue smoke can be fuel....is that true? If I put new injectors in it will the rings reseat themselves. Haven't noticed any ticking or knocking, Diesel Pap, but it runs so rough its hard to tell. Question for Dangerous 1965... do the rings normally just break or do they glaze? Thanks again so much.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Diesel Bomber

They just break! Have a contribution test done to see which cylinder is bad. The crankcase pressure is the dead give away! So you'll have to do a compression test if you don't want a cylinder test done while running. The dealer can do it but it will cost about 100. If you don't need the truck right away send the injectors in for testing then do the compression test! Then you'll know which way to go! Injector cleaner at this point is useless! But for future thought Sea Foam is the best I've used so far!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Thanks Dangerous 1965. Basically I was hoping I would not have to take the engine down, but my gut feeling tells me I am going to have to bore the block. I have a diesel buddy 500 miles away (in Missouri) he can let me use his machine shop and can save me a lot of money on engine work. How would you feel about driving it or trailering it? Would it help if I changed injectors first? Also, do you feel that this is an injector issue at all? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Diesel Bomber

Yes that's a probable cause for all your troubles! But what you have is the aftermath of injector failure! If it drives and there is a spot to tear it down there go for it the damage is done! 500 miles will not do much more as long as it's not pouring fuel into the crankcase! If you have flat bed access then do it that way just to be safe!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Thanks again Dangerous 1965, I think your right on the money. I would tow it, but I don't have a trailer heavy enough, plus my buddy with his Duramax would love to say he had to tow a Cummins for 500 miles! I thought I would set-out with a fresh oil change and take a container along to hold my fuel-filled oil should I have to change it again midway. Can you think of anything I can put in the crankcase to give that cylinder some extra lubrication? My buddy in Missouri owns Patriot Race Engines, he said that if I pull the engine and do all the tear-down, cleaning, and bolting it back together(with him there to walk me through it as he works on other motors) he would only charge me for parts (at his cost) and machine work! Don't think I can go wrong there! This may sound ignorant but, I have to ask... Other than checking my oil every hundred miles how do I detect fuel in my oil, .......drop in oil pressure????? Thanks for responding so much, I really appreciate it!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Diesel Bomber

Driving 500 miles is really nothing. Just check it when you stop to eat~! Unless your pouring fuel into the crankcase you'll be fine. Since your rebuilding anyway a washed bearing or cylinder will be fixed anyway! Your load on a empty truck will be minimal just set the cruise at 70 and relax you'll be ok! If your going to change the oil anyway put in a thicker oil like a straight 40w. Cheapest you can find!