24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dana 80 Locker ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dana 80 Locker ?s

Looking to get a locker for my Dana 80 and am wondering what other folks have gone with?
Seems like there is not much for options when you have 3:55 gears, 35 spline, looks like most are for 4:11 or higher.

What locker, spool or posi unit did you use?

What was the price?

Where did you get it?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

arb air locker not sure where or price got it off a buddy. have one that needs some work if you want to source parts 425 shipped

Old 11-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you dont have a Posi now. some times they just need new clutches or to restack the ones in there now.

What are you using the truck for? if its a daily driver id go with a Factory Trac-Lok with the clutches stacked a little tighter. they are about $1100+install kit+install. An ARB is a good one too but needs air to work. Also youll only have a single wheel pulling untill its locked. And if its locked then it doesnt make for very good dailly driving for around corners. If its left locked and the truck is loaded, and ya go around a corner youll likely hear a loud bang as your inside axle shaft breaks. The same problem occurs with a Detroit locker. If there is torque being applied its locked. If its coasting its un locked. The Detroit True Trac is also a posi unit. it uses Helical cut gears so its super strong and should never wear out. The problem with them is they start off unlocked, where the factory clutch type Trac-Lok starts off locked and the cluthes have to be over come to spin only one wheel. Because the Detroit True Trac starts off unlocked the wheel with the least traction will spin. the only way to get both wheels to spin is if they have equal traction. you usually have to apply the parking break for this to happen. Stay away from a spool unless its a dedicated puller. both wheels locked 100% of the time.

35 spline is factory so most carrieres are for 35 spline shafts. and all the carrieres can be had on both sides of the carrier break

Their are two carriers are for 3.73 and down and 4.10 and up. if you have a 3.73 and down carrier you can install 4.10 gears, they just need to be a thin cut gear for that carrier. not that that was part of your question...

Last edited by ThunderGunder; 11-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks ThunderGunder

I use my truck for pretty much whatever. The whole summer its pulling a boat. I dont sled pull. Its been down the track only a couple times. Not off road much but everytime its been stoppped pretty much because of it one wheel peel. Sucks driving in the rain because it just spins one tire with barely any power. I want it predictable so i want it locked all the time, not like a ARB but I was thinking a Detroit locker. I dont plan on smashing on it when I tow. I would rather not change the gear ratio either. Its a good driver now.
I appreciate the input, think Ill go hunt for a detroit. Pricey but im sure its worth it.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually i was trying to steer you away from a Detroit. Think of the dertroit as spool. If your on the skinny its a spool, if your coasting its an open Diff.