Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Well I have an issue with my pick up it stumbles hard at idle when it is cold outside and the grid is cycling. This started earlier this fall. Fuel pressure is good the entire time no codes are showing up at all. It will ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Jerrod.Stierwalt OSOdanger

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Question Is it a Cam Shaft Sensor problem??

Well I have an issue with my pick up it stumbles hard at idle when it is cold outside and the grid is cycling. This started earlier this fall. Fuel pressure is good the entire time no codes are showing up at all. It will stumble hard then go right back to normal idle, however if you start driving it will not do it again. I have been doing some research and I believe it is the CSS, however I want some other opinions on the situation.

I have included a video of what it does. Truck was just previously started before I started filming.

H.R.D's Sig:
-Jerrod "OSO"-

2002 3/4 Ton Cummins 5 speed 4x4 X-cab SB
Volant CAI * Edge J/A HOT * Blue Chip VP * PDR HX40 * BD Short Shift * CFM+ * AD 100 * Flo~Pro 4" SS Duals

DIESEL BOMBERS SUPER MODERATOR

CLICK HERE FOR SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION
CLICK HERE TO BECOME A PREMIUM MEMBER AKA BOMBARDIER

Last edited by H.R.D; 10-12-2011 at 07:01 PM..
Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums

Cam sensor isn't known to fail without a code. Definatly a pretty big hiccup. You using a good scanner or just key trick?

empty wallet's Sig:-Shayne-
'00 2500- ii hotrod vp, raptor 150, 7x.014's, adp fuel sump, all 1/2" lines, 8" single stack, pdi 3 pc. manifold, airwerks 66/74/14, k&n cold air, pusher intake, dtt heater delete, quad fooler, glowshift pillar pod, iss pro fp on the column, dtt triple disc, vb, billet flexplate, clear lamps, roll pan, leveled, 16" vision alloys, 35" toyos
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Actually they are know to quit working intermittently with out a code. I am just doing the key trick.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums

No kidding, first time I've heard that. One thing I can say for sure is that things a **** to get at... I was told to do mine while I had VP off and I failed. I did do my crank sensor and have heard those 2 have similar symptoms?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

Mine went out without any codes. It was really hard to start and would intermittently die. And yeah, it was a hard one to get to. Lucky for me I have little girl hands
But the sensor is only like $40. It's definitely worth a try.

WyoCumminsGirl's Sig:315's, Edge Juice/ Att., Valair ceramic clutch, S&B intake, 80hp injectors, Airdog II 100, 4" turbo-back exhaust into dual 7" mitre-cut stacks
Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by empty wallet View Post
No kidding, first time I've heard that. One thing I can say for sure is that things a **** to get at... I was told to do mine while I had VP off and I failed. I did do my crank sensor and have heard those 2 have similar symptoms?
If I remember correctly 24v don't have crank sensor they have the cam sensor.

Originally Posted by WyoCumminsGirl View Post
Mine went out without any codes. It was really hard to start and would intermittently die. And yeah, it was a hard one to get to. Lucky for me I have little girl hands
But the sensor is only like $40. It's definitely worth a try.
Yeah I think I will give it a shot because like you said they only cost 40 bones.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Well I changed it out today. Let me tell you what that is a real chore with these big ole paws I call hands. Geeze it is in a horrible location! Good thing I had an extra set of hands. I will report back if this cured the ole girl.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

24 v does have a crank position sensor, behind the starter.

DanLowe's Sig:2000 Dodge 3500, 24V 4x4 Sport Ext. cab, 2" leveling kit, Quadzilla Adrenaline with PCM, Air Dog 100 GPH pump, Silencer Ring M.I.A., MBRP 4 inch all the way back into duals, Goerend Transmission from GOS! 100 horse sticks....
Wife's car: 2006 VW Jetta TDI, 56 MPG hell yeah!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well didn't know that Dan, good to know.

So far so good the ole girl didn't stumble this morning. I think I got it figured out.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Russ Roth

Originally Posted by DanLowe View Post
24 v does have a crank position sensor, behind the starter.
'01 and '02's only have the cam sensor. None on the crank.

submit to reddit