24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

A few questions regarding 01

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few questions regarding 01

Just bought the truck last week, its a stock 01, auto tranny.
1. The fuel gauge gauge goes all the way to F but gets stuck on 3/4, i assume its the "sending unit" any thoughts?

2. I know these questions have been asked a million times and every body gives a million different answers but anyway. Heres what i want outta the truck, get good MPGs, last forever, and be able to smoke any little **** head when i need to.

Ive been doing a good bit of research and this is what Ive came up with:
*Air dog/Fass
*CAI
*Tune (either Edge Comp or EZ) Would I be able to upgrade either one of those with the LCD screen (the attitude im guessing) or does that only come with the juice?

What kind of power am i looking at with these and is there anything else that would need to be done? like an intake manifold, etc....?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but thanks for any and all help!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

1) Yes, most likely the sending unit has gone bad. To answer this, and promote #2, I suggest this:
DrawStraw™ Fuel Module Upgrades

The Vulcan Fuel Module. New parts, but already modified for high flow. It will aid in your fuel requirements and fix the gauge problem.

2) Forever? Not going to happen, not literally at least. Depending on you goals will determine what you should get. Tow a lot? Just a daily driver? Looking to pull competitevly? For all around effectiveness, I sugges a FASS/AD 150 system for low fuel pressure. I like Edge personally, and if you want a all-in-one chip, the Edge Juice with Attitude is great. Either the CTS (color touch screen) or CS (color screen) will work just fine. You'll get gauges and power all in one. If you want to get mechanical gauges, the the Edge Comp is an excellent option. Very simple, and TONS of power.

Regardless of mods and expectations, a good intake and exhaust system benefits significantly.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks man, forgot to mention.... daily driver, towing a little bit, just a boat and an old jeep cherokee to the trails every now and then.
Also, is there any major maintenance at ~110k?

If you cant tell i come from the gasoline world

Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Auto or stick tranny? If your looking a towing alot with an auto you will need to get that thing built. If its a stick you will get through fine. Start making over 300-350hp you will start slipping the clutch.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Diesel Fan

not being an *** but its in the first sentence auto trans

Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

You'll probably want to replace the torque converter and valve body then, at the minimum.

A set of 100HP injectors would work well for the type of towing your doing. I'd find an HX35 to replace your HY35 turbo. The manual trucks came with HX35's, and are a better turbo.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gamecocks
not being an *** but its in the first sentence auto trans

Its fine, I totally missed that.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

You might want to check the front end out on the truck. I know this is not a performance,MPG upgrade. This will add to the longevity of the truck and make it nice to drive.

Ball joints upper and lower,track bar,tie rod ends, hub bearing assembly..etc.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Diesel Fan

checked all that out when i bought it, everything looked good... it seems to ride fine for a solid axle truck
I apreciate the help fellas!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

whats the thoughts on an intake manifold... such as the banks high ram or CFM+, worth the cash?

Last edited by Gamecocks; 08-29-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecocks
checked all that out when i bought it, everything looked good... it seems to ride fine for a solid axle truck
I apreciate the help fellas!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

whats the thoughts on an intake manifold... such as the banks high ram or CFM+, worth the cash?
Most of use stay away from banks.On the 2nd gens the intake really doesn't give use much on the dyno and little on the EGT's. If I had to do it again personal like the CFM it is smooth it has ports and I like the red.

Quick Reply: A few questions regarding 01