24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Gauge

Guys im having an issue with my fuel pressure gauge....

Im not personaly installing it so im asking y'all for some ideas as to what i can do to make it work....The shop thats doing it has tried 4 different options and all 4 have failed...there more then willing to give me my money back if i so choose but i want the darn thing to work so i can keep an eye on my pressure (the truck 2001 24v has a new injection pump and a new DDRP from fass).....so please give me some ideas

This is what has been done and what has happened each time

1st gauge= ISSPRO v2 guage mounted on the colom and the sensor on the injection pump....lasted about 4 miles before the guage went haywire , started jumping from 15-30 and when at WOT stuck 0 psi so hard i thought it would start going backwards.

2nd gauge= ISSOPRO v2 same mount they figgured it was a bad sensor...drove the same rout..about 4 miles and the exact same thing happened!

3rd gauge= ISSOPRO v2 same mount different guage and they used a grease gun tube (little rubber hose ) did the same thing as above but it lasted about 6 miles and this time on WOT it wouldn't go lower then 10 psi

4th gauge ISSOPRO Mechanical fuel pressure with the same mount but now it uses a mechanical plunger mounted on my fire wall and i guess the fuel goes to that and then it sends antifreeze to the gauge...i helped the guy from the shop blead the lines myself.....lasted about 2.7 miles befor it stuck 30 psi and hasent moved sense.

Give me some ideas to relay to the guys at the shop.....i would do this stuff myself but i have never messed with diesel engins.....im learning slowly but i want this gauge done right
thats why i had the shop do it....and yes its a diesel shop (schied diesel of terre haute)

Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Gauge

Did you put a needle valve on it?

Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BACONBITSFORU
Did you put a needle valve on it?
yep they did that when they used the rubber hose....they said that the hose was suppos to isolate the vibrations which was what they said was messing up the other 2 sensors

Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

With the snubber hose, it needs to have a 90* or better bend in it to reduce the water hammer effect. My snubber has a 180* bend in it. Also, the sensor needs to be mounted somewhere off the engine. I have mine mounted with zip ties to the shock tower.

Name:  SnubberHoseBend.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  45.3 KB
In this pic you can see how the hose has the bend in it, and see where the mounting is for the sensor.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

when mine was hooked up with the rubber hose it also had a 180* turn in it and was loosely zip tied to the inner fender well

Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok so i started up my truck yesterday morning and my FP gauge works just like it should??? could it have had an air bubble in the line or even a piece of garbage in the line that would make it do that? ?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a 98 My fuel pressure is connected to my transfer pump AKA fuel filter housing with a solenoid I have Westach guages. Fuel trans temp and a Boost and EGT combo

Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have a isspro ev2 that is doing the same thing. if i woulda known that i woulda bought autometer. very unhappy with isspro.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Never had any issues with Isspro.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

just talked to a Isspro rep. and he said that he is going to send me a new gauge that is going to be coming on the market really soon its a mechaical gauge and will fit like its suppos to in the collom pod ....said its the thinnest mech. gauge on the market and it looks like the EV2 guages not the one that looks like it came out of an old army truck!!!!

told me to take the one thats in my truck back and get a refund for the gauge and he would send me the new one to my house...and told me how to install it on my own....now thats customer service !!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Gauge