24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Weird tranny shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird tranny shifting?

Ok, so here's the issue. I have the stock automatic tranny in my rig and she still pulls strong shifts great (thank god) just had her flushed about a month ago. We Love Transmissions here in lewiston did it and the guy said nothing looked wrong no shavings in the pan magnet - he adjusted 2nd gear.

Now it's shifting kind of funny. I don't know if maybe its the computer telling it to but right around 35mph she'll act kind of weird. Shifting in and out of o/d but I would assume it's because of my speed. I think normally automatics will do that depending on your speed but I'm not sure. Also has anyone noticed a delay of shifting between 3rd and o/d in their automatics? I noticed that it takes about a second for the shift to complete. RPM's stay the same motor sounds like it winds up a little more but when she dumps into gear she pulls hella strong.

I'm not used to automatics and sure wish I could of found this nice of a truck in a 5 speed. She has 128XXX miles on her, original owner took very good care of her but I'm not sure of what all he did. Bought it from Vern Eide in Moscow (I'll never buy another vehicle from them service sucks bad). Anyway I hope I have the terminology right. Any help would be appreciated and if I didn't explain it clearly enough I would be happy to answer questions!!!

Thanks guys!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no worries all 47re's stock do that mine does same thing as you and its got 164k prolly rebuilt though. 35mph shifts 4-3 espiecally if your on a hill

Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Diesel Fan

It doesn't do it on any type of a hill just when I'm going down a level street. Like most places in town is 35mph I guess I'll just turn o/d off. I'm glad it's normal but it's kind of annoying.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this it worked for me.

APPS Reset Procedure
Answer: This procedure has shown to help 24 valve ISB engines. It is basically teaching the fly by wire accelerator on these trucks to reread the position of the pedal and it's limits. Most complaints this will help with is poor acceleration, improper shifting, bucking in 5 and 6 speeds. Has been known to increase fuel mileage in some instances.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bronzebomber
Try this it worked for me.

APPS Reset Procedure
Answer: This procedure has shown to help 24 valve ISB engines. It is basically teaching the fly by wire accelerator on these trucks to reread the position of the pedal and it's limits. Most complaints this will help with is poor acceleration, improper shifting, bucking in 5 and 6 speeds. Has been known to increase fuel mileage in some instances.

1. Set parking brake
2. Disconnect negative battery cables on both batteries
3. Turn ignition key to run(to drain any remaining capacitors)
4. Let truck sit for 30 minutes( this is the recommended minimum)
5. Return ignition to OFF position
6. Reconnect both batteries and secure, not a timed event
7. Turn key to run position(not start) and depress accelerator pedal slowly all the way to the floor
8. Allow pedal to return to top position slowly
9. Turn ignition switch OFF
10.Release parking brake
That resets ecm, not apps. But it isn't an apps issue, what actually causes that is interferance or noise from the alt. I suggest a noise filter, or you can do what I did 50k miles ago and wrap alt. wire with aluminum foil, then cover in electrical tape until it looks like the michelin man.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Diesel Fan

I have a 01 24v and it does the same thing normally at 1400 rpm and is very annoying but turning my od off didn't help I got told a couple things today one its a 60 dollar part and 2 unplug the alt

Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Yes it does reset the "APPS" but I will admit it is no permanent fix...but neither is wrapping your alternator in foil...that might be ok for some people but not for me...I found a link to a fix which appears to work well and fixes the problem permanently and can be done by a novice wrench turner. It places a noise filter in a strategic place with a few simple connections, cost is $27.21 shipped. The link gives you complete intructions and another link to order the filter and also includes some very convincing testimonials.

http://www.kentsoil.com/dodgebug1.htm

Last edited by bronzebomber; 06-29-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added link :P
Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

You could try this, it's a very inexpensive procedure.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys for the info! I just got back from vacation sorry for the silence. I'll give that a shot when I tear into it - it's actually really starting to annoy the crap out of me now...

Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 AM

I had this happen twice to me before I blew up my 1st tranny at 140K. The first time I was concerned and took it to a shop and they charged me 100 bucks to run a program that cleaned the "noise" out of the electrical signal worked for about a year then it happened again, took it to a guy that knew dodges and he installed the above mentioned device for 25 bucks, I was skeptical thinking this "flux capacitor " type deal was a hoax but fixed the problem for sure. I know what you mean about it being annoying cuz it will constantly happen right in that speed range and jump in and out

Quick Reply: Weird tranny shifting?