24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Transmission swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission swap questions

Ok guys i'v got a big one! I currently have a 24 valve with some pretty big power that tows some serious loads, problem is that I have trashed my transmission for the 2nd time this year alone and broken 2! of the new 5th gear lock nuts with the double set screw. so here is my plan. I just today purchased another truck as a donor. a 2000 cummins, so I hate having a manual but I want to use the 47re in said donor truck and give it a performance build and then change that into my current truck.

questions are
1-what should I expect running into with this swap? is it pretty much plug and play?
2-what kind of build and what do I need to rebuild it? "never worked on an auto before..."
3-what will my truck need from the donor?

any help is much appreciated!!

also if anyone is looking for a nv4500 trans I will have one available soon it need a rebuild as the synchros are shot and 5th is gone but hell make me an offer!

Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

There is an upgrade to the output shaft on the NV4500 that changes the spline length of the fifth gear engagement plus the nut is a good combo. I have had a lot of success with mine repaired this way but I only pull 14,000 lbs.
I think you maybe the first person I have heard say they want to switch to an auto. 47's cost a ton too build I have heard 3500 to 5000$ and up to make them last.
The 47 trans is electronic and you would need the harness from the donor truck , trans cooler, i think the cross member is the same.
Is the truck 4X4? ever thought about a NV5600?

Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

You can bypass the electronics with a manual VB or you can transfer the ECM or PCM (I forget which) off the auto into yours. You will need the harness off the donor truck to plug into the trans. If you are 2wd you will use the drive shaft off the donor. If 4wd it would be easier to just swap in the trans and Tcase with drive shafts. Its a lot more work to go from manual to auto but it can be done and I have heard of quite a few people going to the auto.

Now to build the auto you are going to look at a big chunk of money. If you are high HP like you say look at spending a minimum of 5 grand. That's with a rebuildable core.

I think it would be cheaper in the long run just to either rebuild the manual, upgrade to a NV5600 or G56, or buy an auto truck.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
There is an upgrade to the output shaft on the NV4500 that changes the spline length of the fifth gear engagement plus the nut is a good combo. I have had a lot of success with mine repaired this way but I only pull 14,000 lbs.
I think you maybe the first person I have heard say they want to switch to an auto. 47's cost a ton too build I have heard 3500 to 5000$ and up to make them last.
The 47 trans is electronic and you would need the harness from the donor truck , trans cooler, i think the cross member is the same.
Is the truck 4X4? ever thought about a NV5600?
Lol I know I see everybody wants to go to the manual! I can't even find a write up on swapping to auto I am expecting a big chunk of change to build this 47 strong enough to handle what I need but I'm ok with that. My side reason I g for wanting the auto is I absolutely hate loosing boost pressure everytime I shift! Iv got a bd super b right now and it has some boost but it takes a while to spool so the auto just felt like the best way to go considering everything I want from it I'll keep you guys posted on the build as it goes and see what happens

Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Originally Posted by gh0stman
You can bypass the electronics with a manual VB or you can transfer the ECM or PCM (I forget which) off the auto into yours. You will need the harness off the donor truck to plug into the trans. If you are 2wd you will use the drive shaft off the donor. If 4wd it would be easier to just swap in the trans and Tcase with drive shafts. Its a lot more work to go from manual to auto but it can be done and I have heard of quite a few people going to the auto.

Now to build the auto you are going to look at a big chunk of money. If you are high HP like you say look at spending a minimum of 5 grand. That's with a rebuildable core.

I think it would be cheaper in the long run just to either rebuild the manual, upgrade to a NV5600 or G56, or buy an auto truck.
Thanks for the input. I am definitely swapping the t case and drive lines, it's 4x4 and I pulled them for mine it just seemed easier than getting mine adjusted and the t case was different. What is the manual vb?? If I can avoid swapping computers is like to but I want full functionality from the auto? I did look at the nv5600 but to buy without a core and rebuild it and then machine the drive shafts I found I was looking at the 5k mark anyway so I decided on the auto instead.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned manual trans trucks all my life but after buying a '99 Cummins 4x4 dually with the auto (the truck was SO nice and a great deal), I gotta say I really enjoy driving it. We all know the stock 47RE is junk, and I considered a manual swap, but $5000 will either pay for a manual swap or it'll buy a stout built auto. I'm gonna buy a built auto (Firepunk Track & Street is my choice).
The auto is nice in traffic, and I also like the fact that you don't have to get off it and un-spool the turbo when you shift. The fast trucks at the track run autos.

But I'll say this: in snow/ice, I'll still get in my old GMC 4x4 dually with a manual trans. The one and only thing I don't like about driving the automatic is I can't ever quite tell when the tires are slipping. With the manual I know exactly what's going on. Going down hill in snow is the biggest spooky part with the auto.