24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

TURBO SUGGESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TURBO SUGGESTIONS

Hey guys, wonder what you guys would run for a range of 800 horse or so but still a streetable truck. I'm building a drag/street truck at the moment but will soon be strictly drag in a year or so. Just curious what would be a good setup or good single for that performance limit. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

not going to happen on a vp44 without spray (N2O) or a monster stage II or stage III pump..

you will need to convert to P7100 to hit 800 ponies on fuel only..

as for turbos: it can be done on a 472 single or 475 single,

or run twins with a S362 over S480 or S364 over S480

injector size would be good around 6x.016 with P7100.

if you just want to max out a stock vp44 and hit spray, then go with 6x.013 injectors, S362 over S475 compounds, and a shot of N2O, that will get you there and still be streetable.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I was thinking about going to p7100 here soon I know a guy that will sell me all the parts pretty cheap including the pump, I would just have to have it built.. I'm not really sure of anyone who does pump builds.. I may do compounds but what's the benefit of having to compared to one? Quicker spool that's abut all right.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Diesel Wrench

nope that's not the only benefit.

quicker spool if sized right, ability to tow and be streetable if sized properly, and more efficient for the engine.

think of it this way... 35psi or so from a large charger flowing high volumes of air sounds nice, but that air doesn't get into the engine fast enough....well if we take that same 35psi and multiply its pressure to say 70psi or so...at higher pressure that volume can move into the engine faster during the limited duration the intake valves are open. more air in per stroke means more power and cooler egt's can be produced...

plus more useable power...

if you make all of your power in just the upper rpm's because of turbo lag, then if you don't stay revved out you can get under the turbo and bog down...

with twins it drastically widens your power band making useable power come in a lot sooner in the RPM range, but is still able to carry that power into the upper rpm range without running out of steam...

they are better in every way over a single other than the fact that in dyno competitions, sled pulling competitions, etc they put you in higher classes that are harder to compete in.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Now, how would you measure out a good setup. What would be a good ratio

Old 10-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Diesel Wrench

2:1 is the ideal ratio.

turbo sizes depend on how much power you want to make.

I run a 57/65/14 over a 75/96/1.32AR (S357 aka S300G over S475)

there is no set in stone sizes or turbos you have to run...

a 62/65/12 will spool just as fast as a 57/65/14 but give a bit more top end power, a 75/96/1.32 is great for lot of top end power, but a 75/83/1.10 will spool a bit faster.

you seem all over the road in other threads with how much power you want...

I used to run DDP 150s with my current twins, and I decided I wanted a little more power and a bit faster spool without having to use wiretap fueling to get it, so I stepped up my injector size, tightened the secondary's gate, and did extra supporting mods (push rods and valve springs) to obtain the power I wanted and the better throttle response. I am very happy with the result, and my fuel economy is exactly the same as it was before, as is the idle haze and smoke output...wish it didn't smoke as much, but that is just the nature of the beast...

I would rather have zero smoke and idle haze with the same power, but at this power level with a vp44 truck, you don't get to have one without the other unless you can afford to supercharge it which greatly adds to the cost of the build.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Default TURBO SUGGESTIONS

I have been definitly all over the road with power outlooks, but i now have another vehicle to drive as my daily so my plans stay with this truck to be fast but still streetable. You can have an 1000 horse street truck! We all have dreams. I want big power I just don't know my limit yet, I'm at 512hp, and it's not enough yet to please me completly.. Don't get me wrong I love where my truck is at now but I would just like to have 700-800hp. And I would like to be able to drag this truck but still be able to cruise around in it. A friend of mine said I should go with a S467 FMW with 6x.013 sticks. The vp I have wouldn't be able to handle those injectors right? And if so which vp would you personally throw at this truck for like just say 800 horse max. One that is very reliable too.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Sorry bud just saw you're comment on my injectors thread.. I don't know much about forums so I'm all over the place.. So you're thinking Weston's (sorry if that's not what it's called) could you get me a link to these?? I would like to go with the 6x.013's. What numbers are you putting down? And what pump are you running? One last question these injectors probably need bigger cross over tubes?

Last edited by EvanBoothe; 10-16-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Diesel Wrench

I'm putting down 576hp/1285tq @ the rear wheels on a tired old SO-VP44 injection pump on fuel only.

and that is on the same dyno that a common rail ran on right after me and put down 625ish as his best number and he had 120hp injectors, twin cp3 pumps and compound twins with a smarty beta programmer... his best torque run which had lower hp than mine was 1297.. his best hp run had less torque... most people said my truck should have been in the mid 600hp range, and his truck should have been in the 700hp range...

the dyno we were on is known for being stingy on numbers.

but my truck being neck and neck with his but laying down my highest numbers for both in the same run makes me not disappointed with my numbers
If I put spray on the truck I could easily hit the 700hp mark... but that wouldn't be fuel only anymore... fuel only 700+hp without a common rail or supercharger gets hard to street because they are just too smokey...

Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Haha how sketchy is no2 and expensive and the kit

Old 10-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Diesel Wrench

nitrous is relatively safe for diesels. biggest danger is blowing a head gasket or breaking a weak transmission if you don't have good head studs and a good trans.

as for kits, check the vendors on here.

Quick Reply: TURBO SUGGESTIONS