24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Quick Trans Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Trans Fluid Question

I recently had to put a clutch in my truck and was intending to not mess with the fluid but ended up dumping half of it out the tail of the transmission while wrestling it back into place.

I had to run synthetic GL-5 until the Amsoil stuff shipped to me. I just got the amsoil today - I plan on draining the transmission and filling it with the proper fluid. Is there any angle stuff I need to worry about to get all of the fluid out of the tail and small places?

When filling would you recommend I pump in through the bottom or just pour all 4 quarts in from the top under the shifter?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

There should be a fill/check plug on the size for the correct level. For how little is left in all the little crevices, I wouldn't worry about trying to get it all out. If it is a concern, I do believe AmsOil makes an oil binding product that allows oils to be mixed. They have it for engine oil at least.

The following users liked this post:
brianb883 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Amsoil... your trans will hate you. Gl5 will cause pretty hardcore internal issues from my experience. We only run syncromesh. Let us know how the amsoil does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Diesel Fan

I haven't been running GL5 for long, and it's a mix of the original GL4 roughly 50/50, so I'm hoping luck will be on my side for the longevity of my trans.

Amsoil is here - just have to get a spare second to do the fluid exchange

Old 10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mysterync
Amsoil... your trans will hate you. Gl5 will cause pretty hardcore internal issues from my experience. We only run syncromesh. Let us know how the amsoil does.

have you actually run the correct amsoil fluid in a 5 spd? I have a 5spd truck with amsoil in it for the last 3 years and 60k and 3 buddies with 5spds running amsoil with no issues. The whole issue of having to run factory oil in these things just pisses me off.

I have run into the same issue with honda manual and auto trans and have had no complaints running the amsoil in any of those transmissions either.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan

Everywhere i read the amsoil MTF 5w30 Fluid is the favored fluid with some limited slip friction moddifier for the nv 5600. I have penzoil synchromesh in mine and 6th is hard to get in.

AND apparently these 6 speeds came fromt he factory over a quart low. Everyone recommends 6 qts in the 6 speed and fill it threw the shifter hole from the top.

i have 6 qts of amsoil on the way.

From what i came across there are only 4 fluids that meet the nv 5600's specs
Mopar
amsoil
Penzoil
redline

Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparguy55
Everywhere i read the amsoil MTF 5w30 Fluid is the favored fluid with some limited slip friction moddifier for the nv 5600. I have penzoil synchromesh in mine and 6th is hard to get in.

AND apparently these 6 speeds came fromt he factory over a quart low. Everyone recommends 6 qts in the 6 speed and fill it threw the shifter hole from the top.

i have 6 qts of amsoil on the way.

From what i came across there are only 4 fluids that meet the nv 5600's specs
Mopar
amsoil
Penzoil
redline
yes but his is a 5 spd. 2 different fluids.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 01quadcab
have you actually run the correct amsoil fluid in a 5 spd? I have a 5spd truck with amsoil in it for the last 3 years and 60k and 3 buddies with 5spds running amsoil with no issues. The whole issue of having to run factory oil in these things just pisses me off.

I have run into the same issue with honda manual and auto trans and have had no complaints running the amsoil in any of those transmissions either.
This is why i think we need a sarcasm emoticon
There are some cases where fluid swaps are unacceptable and if you do some research first you should be fine. However gl5 in a nv4500 is something we remedy all the time. It can cause a "sticky" feeling, atleast thats how the customers describe it. Cant say that ive ever torn one down that ran gl5 (except for my own which didnt have an easy life in the first place) so im not sure as to actual lubrication issues. I do know if you put syncromesh back in it solves their complaint. We use Pennzoil or amsoil (both are a "syncromesh" fluid) brands mostly.

Last edited by mysterync; 10-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by mysterync
This is why i think we need a sarcasm emoticon
There are some cases where fluid swaps are unacceptable and if you do some research first you should be fine. However gl5 in a nv4500 is something we remedy all the time. It can cause a "sticky" feeling, atleast thats how the customers describe it. Cant say that ive ever torn one down that ran gl5 (except for my own which didnt have an easy life in the first place) so im not sure as to actual lubrication issues. I do know if you put syncromesh back in it solves their complaint. We use Pennzoil or amsoil (both are a "syncromesh" fluid) brands mostly.

I did notice that shifting was a bit "sticky" on the GL5 fluid, I noticed the shifts are a bit rougher than they were before, but not by much.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Castrol also makes the correct fluid for the nv4500 it's called syntorqe

Quick Reply: Quick Trans Fluid Question