24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

"New to me" repair thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New to me" repair thread.

Ok so here goes.

Two weeks ago I was given a 2000 Dodge 3500 dually. 2wd with a manual trans and the only modification is a 5 inch exhaust.

My issues are as follows. If the truck sits over night it will start up after about 15 to 20 seconds of cranking. Once it gets hot, it will turn over all day long but not bust off. I have to let it sit for several hours before it will fire up again(after another 15 to 20 seconds of cranking). Starter seems to be spinning at proper speed. Once it starts it runs fine with no visible signs of problems.

After some searching on here I started to look for fuel leaks. I have found three so far. There was a banjo bolt with a schrader valve on it that was leaking. I replaced that with a normal banjo bolt due to the dodge dealership telling me they didn't make that part. The fuel filter cap was leaking, further inspection found that it just wasn't tightened down all the way. The last leak I found was the fuel filter drain. I'm trying to find one online to order, but can't seem to find one. If anyone has a link to order that part please let me know.

Also after searching around on another site I've looked at some more things. Pulled the codes with the key trick. Found a P0122(I hope that this is just due to me working on the truck and draining the battery voltage.) Also a p1693. I plan to use an actual scanner tomorrow to find out the rest of the codes. No check engine light on tho. Also I'm picking up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow to see what it is. I know that the in tank LP was replaced about a week before I got the truck.

Sorry if this is long, trying to be as detailed as possible. All help is appreciated, and I'll be posting tomorrow the rest of the codes and fuel pressure at idle, cruse, and wot.