24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

2000 24v engine into a 2001 Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 24v engine into a 2001 Dodge

I have the dreaded 53 casting cracked block. My truck is a 2001. I found a 2000 24v engine for a good price but wondering what I would have to change for the swap. My understanding is that the 2001 ISB has different electronics?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

here's my sig....

Last edited by JMT24v; 08-29-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Should be a direct swap. Keep your computer, and you may have to swap a few sensors from your engine to the other.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

Will need the cam sensor for sure

Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

And a couple other sensors that have different plug ends on them

Old 08-29-2012, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

Map sensor is different but just swap the correct one from the 53 head

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the info.... The guy just checked the engine and it's actually a 1998. Does this change things? Thanks guys.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM

If its the 98.5 24v then no. Just swap what you need from your old engine onto the 98.5 block an you should be fine. Is yours a manual or automatic. If its manual then you need the High output cummins they made in 98.5 to 2002. They didn't announce it being a h/o motor untill 99 or 2000 I believe. But it only came in standard trans.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a Manuel.....

Another q... I can't tell that my block is cracking more.... It was cracked when I bought it and 3000 miles later it's the same. It was JB welded so it's not leaking coolant... What do you guys think??? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Up

Originally Posted by JMT24v
I have a Manuel.....

Another q... I can't tell that my block is cracking more.... It was cracked when I bought it and 3000 miles later it's the same. It was JB welded so it's not leaking coolant... What do you guys think??? Thanks for the help.
Keep runnin' her the way she is IF she's not leaking. Why change the engine if you don't need to? (You may want to buy a good replacement and store it for a rainy day though.)

I had a 1999 with a cracked block. The crack was 8" long. I only changed my engine because it leaked like a son-of-a-beatch, once warmed up. Couldn't travel more than 100 miles on the expressway before it would unload all of the coolant and start to overheat. Kept water in it and kept using it for 3 months during the summer. Of course, the damned crack got bigger. Leaked all the coolant out within 10 miles or so. Worked fine since I was driving between 3 farms that were about 10 miles apart. Drove to one, filled her up with water. Used her for picking up hay in the lot and towing wagons out. Filled her up before running down the road. Got to destination, filled her up again. I kept (2) 5 gallon gas cans full of water in the truck with me all the time. It was a royal pain in the ****... not to mention, straight water rusts the inside of the cooling system like crazy!

I bought mine cracked as well, yet unknowingly. I got SCREWED by the guy I bought it from, because he didn't tell me that it was cracked or leaking. He had attempted a JB weld repair as well, which didn't work. (No surprise, it was like he stuck some damned chewing gum over it and just expected it to withstand the expansion and contraction cycles of the engine - stupid!)

Anyhow, I put a 2000 24V 5.9L CTD "Sport" engine in my 1999 "SLT". Both ran automatic trannys. It was basically a direct fit, except for one wierd thing... For some reason, the "new" engine didn't like the 1999's Chrysler PCM (the one on the firewall). It kept making my transmission overheat, or at least it made the warning light come on and the tranny kept going into "fail-safe" mode. After determining that there was nothing wrong with my tranny (which I already knew), I changed the PCM's and viola! Problem went away. Beats me as to why. (My 1999 Chrysler PCM had been updated to the most current version just months before, when I was trying to find a lack of power problem, which ended up being the MAP sensor.)

Oh, one other thing, I had to swap the fuel filter housings. As I recall, they were slightly different as well, and it was much easier to put the 1999 one on the 2000 engine so that the fuel lines hooked up the same from the truck.

It's funny you mentioned the '01 CTD's being different. They are. I have a 2001 24V 5.9L H.O. that is awaiting a transplant into my 1997 V-10 5spd truck. Should be fun - NOT - LOL! I can tell you that many of the '01 engine's sensors and main wiring harness plugs are different than the earlier model year trucks.

As long as the 1998.5 24V engine you are looking at is not a 53 block, and you can buy it reasonably cheap enough, I'd say buy it, and park it in your garage on a pallet for a rainy day. Sooner or later, you're likely to need it if/when the JB weld on your crack finally gives up. Since your truck is an 2001, if you end up using the 1998.5 engine, just be sure that you swap all of the necessary sensors and such so that everything plugs into your newer truck's wiring harness connectors. You will also want to use the Cummins ECU from your '01 on the 1998.5 engine. Always keep your ECU and PCM together, because if you don't, I can guarantee you will have problems that will arise. I believe that computer re-flashing can fix those issues of different year software revisions, but why would you want to go through that hassle and expense if you don't need to?

BTW, I was fortunate to have found and purchased a used bare block (non-53) to enable me to revive my cracked "53" engine. Found it from a guy on eBay that parts Dodge diesels out. Now I just gotta go through the hassle of changing all the parts over, and will throw a new set of rings and bearings at her, which will make her almost like new again.

I wish I had the time to do the engine work sooner, as then I wouldn't have had to go buy a complete one that was ready to go. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get your truck up and running again.

Best of luck with what you decide to do.

Last edited by TurboDiesel; 09-03-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Forgot some things.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks so much for the help turbodiesel. It barely leaks at all. Never leaves enough coolant to be visible. I heard if a 53 block doesn't crack after 150k. My truck has 210k. I can't imagine it cracked that long ago. Is it possible that it will not crack anymore than it already did? Still plan in on the rainy day thing either way though.

Quick Reply: 2000 24v engine into a 2001 Dodge