1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Unknown issue with 12v vepump

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to believe 6 injectors would quit at the same time and as you have a spray pattern from them would think they are OK.
Sorry but it still sounds like a timing problem, far enough off not to pick up when you use the Ether.
Sounds like something is off in the timing gear system.
Cheers Steve

Old 11-07-2016, 07:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we figured it out! sort of..

so wepullled the exhuast manifold off. started it with ether. then i pulled the throttle..
we have the supply to the ip and the return routed out of a coffe can of fuel to rule out any fuel systme problems.

So anyways.. when i pulled the throttle i got some popping not much but the smoke coming out of the block increased 10 fold! so that tells me i have fuel to the motor!

i then desided to pull the motor since it was nothing i could fix while in the truck...

once we got the motor pulled i noticed the exhaust valve has .25 gap not the .02 it is supose to have...

we got further down in the truck and discovered all the exuast push rods were bent! that means the valve had to smake the piston! we have the whole thing apart now and looks like the only damage is push rods and tappets.. we will also have to replace the timeing housing because the bolt next to the kdp fell out and broke the housing.. now my new question is:

to me the timing would have had to been off for the valve and the piston to hit.
if the bolt fell out and cased the cam to spin a tool then it would have been out a tooth when i was checking timing.. the cam gear has not spun... the key is still in there and in one peace.. so how did the motor get out of time or how did it get back into time if the gear slipped a tooth?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Have you checked the key on the crankshaft gear? Better chance that is sheared if the dropped bolt jammed into the gears along with destroying the housing.
Need to have a good look at the valves even though they would have had straight hit from the pistons.
Cheers Steve

Old 11-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

ill check the crank key.. that would make more sence to me! he crank has all the counter weight keeping it in motion and the gear just stoping would definatly cause a sheared key.. also we are going with over sized valves in this build so it will fix any issues that could be there..

Old 11-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

it was the crank! it was about 30 degrees out!

Old 11-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Glad you found the cause.
Would have a good look at the gears or get them crack tested, should be obvious where bolt jammed into the gear.
Cheers Steve