1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

4WD ing a 2WD Dodge Cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD ing a 2WD Dodge Cummins?

Dear Dodge Cummins Community,
is it a lot of work to convert a 2wd Cummins into a 4 WD?
I have a 1993 2 WD auto - can I use the tranny and just add a transfer case?
What else do I have to do?
Which components would I need?
Thanks.
Jörg

Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is hard or time consuming or both. No you cannot use the current transmission its a two wheel drive transmission period um gonna need a new 4wd front axle geared the same as your rear gonna have to acquire a front driveline probably shorten your rear driveline probably a different crossmember I don't know ive never been under a 2wd before cut a hole in the floor board for the t-case shifter im sure theres more but theres just a start for ya

Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Diesel Fan

It's a pretty common swap. I am about to do one. It is a lot of work but not that hard to do compared to other makes. The best way to do it It is to find a donor truck.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Cheaper to trade up to a 4x4 unless you have a 4x4 parts truck to steal from. The price of a good Dana 60 front will blow your mind. Not to mention all the other expenses.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by burnhedge
Cheaper to trade up to a 4x4 unless you have a 4x4 parts truck to steal from. The price of a good Dana 60 front will blow your mind. Not to mention all the other expenses.
Funny thing is you can often find a body damaged truck or rollover cheaper than a Dana 60 front.

The only problem is finding a decent 4X4 first gen at a decent price.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM

most people with experience will tell you its cheaper to find a truck already configured to a 4wd platform from factory if your feeling crafty go for it, but be prepared to spend way more money for the parts to convert than It is to find a full truck.
granted it is hard to find a solid 1st gen 4wd that has not been neglected or molested.
know that the transfercase the trans and your driveshaft needs to be changed.
front diff steering components and im not sure what trans you have in there cross member has to be re positioned and would be easier to find another one and measure it out properly. lotsa work buddy and if you take it on good luck.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by ZAAR
most people with experience will tell you its cheaper to find a truck already configured to a 4wd platform from factory if your feeling crafty go for it, but be prepared to spend way more money for the parts to convert than It is to find a full truck.
granted it is hard to find a solid 1st gen 4wd that has not been neglected or molested.
know that the transfercase the trans and your driveshaft needs to be changed.
front diff steering components and im not sure what trans you have in there cross member has to be re positioned and would be easier to find another one and measure it out properly. lotsa work buddy and if you take it on good luck.
Hell I have been building cars and trucks for 40 years 20 of which I was a machinist. this is a Pretty simple swap for me. the hardest part is getting started

PS have all the parts and have made some that I didn't like or have. Plus I have become attached to the truck that I have had for 18 years. Thanks for the warning though

I have a build thread going here.
1990 D250 to W250 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking you could use the same transmission but use an output shaft from a 4x4 trans.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 91 7three
I was thinking you could use the same transmission but use an output shaft from a 4x4 trans.
Yeah if you have the adapter and a transfer case that has the correct spline count. from what I read there are two different spline counts for the NP 205 Dodge used. manual and auto. I got almost all my parts from the same truck. so I haven't looked into mixing and matching much.
I know this type of project isn't for everybody. To me it is fun. My wife says it beats dragging me out of bars.

Last edited by mknittle; 04-22-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesnt seem like it'd be too difficult of a conversion but definitely time consuming. Front end would probably be the hardest part of it because i think you would have to drill the frame for the shackles and what not.

Last edited by 91 7three; 04-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 4WD ing a 2WD Dodge Cummins?