1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1993 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Build Thread

Hey all!
Just picked up a '93 5.9 12v.
Extended cab, LE... it's a great truck. Has 253k miles on the clock right now.

Figured I'd put together a build thread to track my work, because boy will there be a lot of it... the truck is practically rust free but the clear coat is peeling and it needs some work in a lot of other areas.

Just a couple of questions about these trucks... Keep in mind this is my first diesel, so any tips, hints or tricks would be very much appreciated...

1) Okay, "plugging in your truck" the guy who I bought it from said it had a block heater... can't find the "plug"?

2) Looks like 4wd works, but I can't really be certain because my 4wd light doesn't light up! Any suggestions?

The only modifications done to this truck are a 4" exhaust from the turbo back, and the guy before me told me he put in a "potentiometer" to control the torque convertor.. It's supposed to been done because something broke and it was a cheap fix, anyone know what might have broke? I'd like to get it fixed right...

Any tips would be great! First step is hopefully getting the headliner redone because it is sagging, badly!

Attached Thumbnails 1993 Build Thread-00v0v_5fia6uamuut_600x450.jpg   1993 Build Thread-00u0u_4gupc6triki_600x450.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1.) nice truck
2.) if you ever are interested in selling it I will be waiting patiently with cash in hand....hahaha joking!

no I'm not.

3.) The plug will be most likely hanging somewhere close to the passenger front grille/bumber area.

4.) you look like you're in snow, take a buddy...kick him out, throw it in 4low, give her a little love tap on the gas pedal. See what spins what don't.

5.) Idk what a patatoemeter is so I'm out on that one.

Good luck and please post lots of pics!! I'm not much of a reader, more of a pop-up style guy. Again, VERY beautiful truck to start with.

The following users liked this post:
DieselMyth (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The potentiometer is used to replace the throttle position sensor it has nothing to do with the torque converter.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by sweetv8s10
The potentiometer is used to replace the throttle position sensor it has nothing to do with the torque converter.
I learned something today. Thanks

Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Hmm. I don't think that's the case! ONLY because the guy said that if you mess with the dial it'll lock up the torque convertor! Thanks for the help guys!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGenForTheWin
Arduino - Potentiometer

Ehhhh I don't think so....
Thanks for the information! Not trying to be rude I'm really just going off what the guy told me!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by 1stGenForTheWin
1.) nice truck
2.) if you ever are interested in selling it I will be waiting patiently with cash in hand....hahaha joking!

no I'm not.

3.) The plug will be most likely hanging somewhere close to the passenger front grille/bumber area.

4.) you look like you're in snow, take a buddy...kick him out, throw it in 4low, give her a little love tap on the gas pedal. See what spins what don't.

5.) Idk what a patatoemeter is so I'm out on that one.

Good luck and please post lots of pics!! I'm not much of a reader, more of a pop-up style guy. Again, VERY beautiful truck to start with.
Thank you! I found the plug

Last edited by DieselMyth; 02-15-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The potentiometer just controls over drive. It's a variable resistor. These trucks didn't come with a lock up torque converter, so there is no way to control that. Looks like a good truck!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1stgenctd
The potentiometer just controls over drive. It's a variable resistor. These trucks didn't come with a lock up torque converter, so there is no way to control that. Looks like a good truck!
Hmm, thanks for the info! I didn't know! This is something the previous guy put in before me! Hopefully getting a pillar pod with a boost gauge and a pyrometer soon! Any recommended brands and any other gauges to recommend?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Okay all! A little information... the potentiometer is replacing the throttle position sensor, the previous owner put it in, and it looks like the '93 DOES have a lockup torque convertor, although the previous commenters were correct as in the earlier years did not. The replacement part is 150 bucks, while this was 30...

Now as to what the TPS actually DOES is beyond me... I have some more information to gather all that I've come up with is that this potentiometer is replacing my TPS and that I do have a lockup torque convertor!

Hoping to get the headliner redone and get those gauges on order soon, should have pics up as soon as it's taken care of!

Last edited by DieselMyth; 02-15-2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok! Enough with the hijacking! Haha, back to getting that beautiful club cab of yours all fixed up!

Quick Reply: 1993 Build Thread