1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Truck dies when put in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck dies when put in gear

Hi Guys
This my first post, so bare with me.
I have a 91 w250 intercooled auto overdrive, I bought it new.
My problem is my grandson ( age 19 ) took it to college with him. He is taking diesel mechanics.
Now to my problem: one of his classmates said he knew how to turn up the pump. He turned the star wheel clockwise until it bottomed out ( approx. 4 turns ) then counterclockwise 2 turns. The diaphragm wasn't marked. Then my grandson reassembled the top. It wouldn't run.
The banjo bolt has been broken, we are looking for a new one.
That is the story I got over the phone. All this took place in the parking lot. What do you think?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the smoke screw down a turn. Secondly, the power screw and smoke screw are 2 different things. When you turn the power screw up, the idle will rise and you have to compensate for that by adjusting the idle screw (the screw on the motor side of the pump thats hard as hell to get to) and same with turning it down, it will lower the idle. Now assuming you have the stock power pin in there, it really shouldnt matter how you put it back in, it should run. I had a similar problem tinkering with mine. I have a 5spd manual and i was killing the truck in 1st gear, but i put an aftermarket powerpin in and it was facing the wrong way blocking that little pin from coming out. (http://issuu.com/rswords/docs/bosch_ve_manual should help) However if you look at the cone, you will notice its a little oblong. If you look into the pump with the powerpin removed, you will notice a little pin sticking out of the inside of the pump that portudes when you give it throttle, and thats what rides along the power pin, adjusting fuel flow when the boost pushes the diafragm down. In the stock setup, the cone is turned so that the closest part of the cone makes contact with the pin. If you rotate the powerpin 180* from the stock setting, you essentially get more power because that little pin can come out further. I suggest a dab of grease where the pin makes contact with the powerpin. Also, the smoke screw doesnt do a whole lot for performance other than adjusting how much smoke the truck makes, and in this case more smoke does not equal more power. As far as i know you just want to adjust it if EGT's are too high, but dont quote me on that. All in all, my best guess is the pin that rides on the powerpin is stuck. My truck would idle ok, but as soon as i tried to move it, it fell on its face and died. To test if the little pin is stuck, dab some grease on the powerpin where the pin will ride, put everything back together, fire it up, rev the truck and try to build a little boost, shut it down, take the powerpin out and if the grease has a little "groove" going up the powerpin, then that means that the little pin is not stuck. Hope that helps and isn't too confusing, im gonna try to find you some links that hopefully make a little more sense.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump

This is what i was looking for. Good info in here, and good luck to you sir.

Last edited by Thekingrulz69; 10-01-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kingrulz
Everything you posted makes since, they got it running.seems the rod riding on the cone was stuck. they said it was because of moisture causing a varnish type of a build up.After soaking it with ATF it came loose. That is what they say,I guess so??? I will keep your post for future reference, lots of good info. Thank you again.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it's fixed! Also check out the first gen sticky if you have some spare time. Lots of useful info about just about everything.