1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

91.5 hy35 and pump tweaking question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 91.5 hy35 and pump tweaking question

So I have 50 horse injectors with a dealer insalled pump I got under recall I put the injectors in before the pump. Before the new pump my egt got up there when towing .I told the mechanic at the dealer that I had bigger nozzles and he set the pump so my egt is a lot better however they still get hot on occation. Now for the question I have an hy35 turbo that was given to me nothing wrong with it but my brother didn't need it after an upgrade will this turbo lower my egt or at least keep thing manageble if I turn the pump up? Will it provide any extra power without any pump mods? If I throw more fuel in do I need to bump timing as well?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Give and take. Though the HY has a slightly larger compressor side, it has a smaller turbine side. You can (I think) bolt the compressor and center section to the H1C exhaust housing. I know you can with an HX, not 100% sure about the HY. A common mistake is using "go fast" parts in a "work hard" truck. That is why your EGT climbs under a sustained load. Depending on the specs of your "50 horse" injectors, they can be used for towing if supported properly.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would the bosch 190 injectors be better for hard work with an 18.5 cm housing or 16? I'm lookin for about 225 to 275 rwhp with managable egt and 500+- lbft of torque

Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should almost be able to do that with the stock injectors. Can always get em flowed. The 16 housing is a good upgrade on a h1c or a hx.

The HY35 exhaust housing cant be changed- its stuck @ 9cm

Can always find HE351- They cool well for towing. Been actually happy with mine so far.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

If you are going to be giving your truck a steady diet of hard work, the 18.5 would be a better choice. Though you will have a slight lag it will get rid of the heat a little better than the faster spooling 16. My rule for a work truck is don't create heat in the first place. High boost levels "preheat" the air before it reaches the engine. Running boost levels much over 30psi and that is what you are doing. An intercooler can only do so much. If you are supplying more fuel than the incoming air can efficiently burn (black smoke), you are adding more heat. Turbo exhaust housing and exhaust restrictions can hold heat in. All these things add up to higher EGT. And in a working truck, you have to hold that power for an indefinite time.
Solutions? High flow air filtration. High CFM turbo. Larger intercooler. Water/methanol injection. Large and/or waste gated turbine housing. Larger diameter exhaust. As for injectors, keep it small. I also recommend 6 or 7 hole injectors. Why? They keep the power at the low end of the RPM range were you do the hardest work. 6X0.011 or 7X0.012 work well for towing power and EGT control.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HY35 will spool super fast with the 9cm housing and it will cool better than a laggy h1c because the inducer side is considerably larger.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would think the HY35 should spool quick and provide a lot of boost. The trick will be keeping the fuelling conservative so it doesn't get too hot.

With my setup, essentially marine 370 injectors and 12cm housing, i have never been able to get over 1200*. Usually cant get more than 1000* out of it. I have more tuning to do, but that's where mine's at for now.