1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

The "Dodge Pile" is busted

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The "Dodge Pile" is busted

My torque converter is coming apart inside and wants to pull through the brakes when in gear. It looks as if I'm gonna have to pony up for an upgrade. The PTC tightened up and refreshed converter was almost too tight. I'm considering the medium stall Georend or a Spec Rite. How about some of that "free advice" this place is famous for. I am not tryimg to drag race or be a full time sled puller, I just want a piece that will hold up to an occasional flogging without having to worry about it shelling out. Due to the special construction nature of my truck it's a real PIA to pull the trans.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Lots of arguments on this subject. My personal belief is if you have a lot of RPM swing through the torque converter, you're wasting power and fuel. Considering the engine produces torque and horsepower at lower RPMs, that is were the torque converter should hold the load. The one I have in my 92 was custom built by a local shop. The third try was the charm. It is a low stall and does put a little pull on the brakes at a stop light. Shifting to neutral solves that problem. A hill that use to cause my RPM to climb to 2200RPM now holds much better at 1900. Not as good as my manual transmission, but better.