Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Hey guys I am in the process of a cummins swap into my 76 chevy and I decided to get rid of the getrag and go with a 727 it is freshly rebuilt stock. And stock TC. My concern is that the stock stall on ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Diesel Fan

Default Tourque converter recommendations

Hey guys I am in the process of a cummins swap into my 76 chevy and I decided to get rid of the getrag and go with a 727 it is freshly rebuilt stock. And stock TC. My concern is that the stock stall on the TC won't be right with 3.54 ratio and 37 inch tires. I know very little about auto trannys so all help is very appreciated.

1stgenSappy's Sig:1993 d250 LE 2x4
Getrag 360,southbend clutch,Dana 80 out of 2001 dodge cummins
starwheel maxed, full fuel screw maxed, fuel pin ground, 366 spring,
smoke screw in a little, 1/8" timing bump, HX35W turbo,
guages, cold air intake, 4"dp 5" exaust, 2nd gen inter cooler,BHAF
Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

You should be okay, especially with that tall of tire on the 3.54 gears.
You may WANT a bit more converter slip with that combo, to limit breakage.

The biggest rule on an auto is KEEP IT COOL, ergo a BHA cooler is recommended.

What's going to happen to the poor Getrag?

Mark.

Mark Nixon's Sig:1991.5 2wd, 1 ton Flatbed, 1/4" timing, screwed, 3200gsk, Automatic, stock otherwise.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Diesel Fan

How hot is too hot? I ordered a temp guage but I'm not sure where it should run temp wise. What exactly does more slip translate to? A different TC? I traded a guy straight across my 2wd rag for his 4wd 727 so it's going to a good home I wouldn't just throw it away it was a very good tranny it's just that my old lady can't drive a manual and after many failed attempts to teach her I broke in and decided while I was doing the swap I would put an auto in it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

At least the rag got a new home to be useful in.

I'm not sure on transmission temps, seems like "hot" is around 400 degrees, but CMIIW.
More slip does generate more heat, but CAN limit any potential damage.
It's exactly what Dodge did to attempt to help the overdrive (518) in our 1st gen trucks to live a bit longer to make warranty.
When Dodge introduced the 518, they also made the over-the counter under-bed cooler available, in attempts to combat the extra heat.

Mark.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Diesel Fan

So does higher stall mean higher slip? Or lower stall? Also what are some good coolers? I have looked at a few I don't really want to go with an auxiliary with a fan just yet I would rather start with a small better than stock type that goes up front if I need to I will add one later in time. I had a stock dodge cooler mounted up front but I accidentally ran into it with the fork lift and trashed it. Luckily that's all I hit.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

A higher stall means more converter slip plus more heat!! I run a th400 in my cummins swap with a deep pan with oil cooler tubes and a big aux cooler. I have the converter as tight as it will go!! never been over 190 degree!!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Does anyone know the stock stall?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

I believe stock stall is around 1400-1600, too hot is 200* in the pan.
a low stall converter is 1100.

1STGENFARMBOY's Sig:93 W250 auto, DDP 4's, pump max, timming 3/16, 16cm, 60 mm, 4in dp, holley black, BHAF, BHFF, Denny T, 366 spring, P/S intercooler, 3in cooler tubes, trans adjustments, full travel adjustment, twin 6.5in stacks or a 5in tail pipe,
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Diesel Fan

So I guess all I need to know now is what brand of TC do you guys recommend and what stall for my application do you guys recommend?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Call SunCoast, Goerend or Specrite. Tell them your trucks specs and what you world like it to do and they will give you a recommendation.

tampabaybill's Sig:93 D250 CCLE, S300,5x14,PDR cam,BHAF,Ported, O ringed &studs,BD ip,M3pin & timing device,propane inj.,BD exhaust man.,4"tbe,fluid damper,SunCoast47rh w/3disc conv.,D70 3:54 w/trac-lok,gauges= egt,boost,tach,tranny&rearend temps,Air Dog 150

submit to reddit