1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993

Good morning, folks... So my injection pump took a dump last week, and when I pulled the pump, or technically, when the shop pulled the pump, I looked up the date code on it and it fell into the recall date range of 163-169 with no infinity symbol. I had the shop contact the dealership and then this morning, I went down to the service department personally with my VIN and within five minutes, they had ascertained that my truck was part of the recall and had never been corrected, so they are having the truck towed to them and installing a new pump. Now, I know we have all heard differing stories regarding the recall, but my truck is a 1991.5 I/C and here we are twenty one years later doing the recall. Of course, they haven't finished it yet, but so far, I haven't had any issues. So for all of you who may end up with an ailing pump, it is worth looking into it. It seems that since it was a safety issue, they have all these vehicles in a database so they can account for the defective units they are on the hook for. Maybe this helps some of you guys. I know there have been a lot of BS posts on this topic, but my local dealership here in Statesboro is still honoring the safety recall on the VE. Since it is safety-related, they legally have to, but it is still nice to know that I didn't have to use my outside voice to get them to do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cree:
12 valve and proud (11-18-2012), bladeyamaha (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even if you broke the seals and screwed with the settings?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by willyslick
even if you broke the seals and screwed with the settings?
Yes. It is a Safety Recall. No way out of it for them.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Diesel Fan

From all the information I've read ... NOT personal experience so far; Dodge isn't looking to catch someone modding a pump. These units have been out of production for nearly twenty years, and the average tech at a dealership is just pulling off a defective part and replacing it with a new part. Hell, some of these guys were still in diapers when these trucks were new. Since it is not a warranty issue, but a safety issue, Dodge is looking to account for all the known defective units, because each one represents a potential lawsuit with the fulcrum lever breaking at WOT and a whole rash of bad PR. I really don't see how they could turn down the replacement of the bad pump if the VIN is not in their database as every having been corrected. Its a bad part that has been further modified, not a good part we modified. Their obligation is to cover their butts; they sold a turd, we may have polished it, but it was still a turd. They are still accountable for the turd. Worst part is that now I'll have to go and redo all the settings...

Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So can I just call my dodge dealership and give them my truck vin. And they can tell me if its a truck in the recall or do I need the number off the pump

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Diesel Fan

All I had to provide was the VIN. I had the pump codes handy, but they didn't ask for them. For the record, mine was date coded 166. The recall affects 163-169.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where is the pump code?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Diesel Fan

If you're looking at the pump from the driver's side, you will find a data plate stamped into the side of the pump that faces at a slight downward angle towards your fender. It is below the shutoff solenoid, and a real pain in the *** to see with the pump on the engine. Mine was covered with paint that I had to strip off to see. It really was easier to see with it off the vehicle ... and the paint didn't help, either.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

if your pump works ine can you still have this done

Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, it is a Federally Mandated Safety Recall associated with internal components of the affected VEs that result in an uncontrolled Wide Open Throttle (WOT) situation (your shut-off solenoid and/or manual fuel shut-off will NOT kill the engine in this situation).

Your trucks age, warranty, mileage, modifications to the IP means squat. The NTSB is compelling all dealers to respond when such a vehicle comes to their attention.

Check your VIN to see if your truck falls in those effected, OR, the warranty replacement pump that may have been installed on your truck. If yours does, take it to your nearest dealer for an installed replacement free of charge.

NOTE: This is NOT an opportunity to get a free replacement IP installed in any truck. This Safety Recall only applies to those trucks and/or IPs as described in the following link . . . .

READ ABOUT IT HERE: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/605.htm

If the dealer wants to give you some crap about it, refer them to the above. Still no love?, then forward the name of the dealer to the NTSB and they will "explain" it to them.

Last edited by BC847; 11-14-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Injection Pump recall... 1991-1993