12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

cummins donor search? what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cummins donor search? what to look for?

okay fellas, i am relativly new to the forum scene, and this is my virgin post on this one, so here we go!

i am looking for a donor cummins to inplant into the truck in my sig, i have decided to go with a 12 valve for the reliability and simplicity of being mechanical, and the 94-98 because of the legendary p7100's power potential. i have been looking for a complete truck for some time now but for some reason nobody wants to get rid of their truck for what i want to pay for a engine and tranny, go figure. so looking at used engines that outlasted the shell built around them has come to be my next best option, but thats okay to because after some more research i found i want a nv4500 out of a 98.5+ that came behind the 24v not 12v.

i found several engines for a reasonable price (to me, ie. 1250-2000) but they all seem to be higher milage (again to me, ie. 200,000-400,000). im looking for a donor to "freshen up and fire ring", not something thats going to need a major overhaul.

i have a engine im interested in but its 6 hours away and i want to be sure its what i want before i go look at it because if i go that far i want to be at least 95% sure ill buy it unless i notice something catastrophically wrong with it.

so i need some advice from all you cummins connoisseurs out there on what im looking for, what questions i need to ask, and what tools i need to bring to do as much diagnostics on a engine that is out of the the vechile as i can?

as far as what i already know about the engine is the seller is asking 2000 obo, he says it has 2500rpm gov springs, it has 66,000 miles, its out of a ford bus. the engine id tag, or as much of it as i can read states,
manufactured by cummins engine co. for ford motor co.
dom 10-4-1994
cid 359 / L 5.9
model # b5.9-190
cpl 1351 (im not 100% about the "3")
timing tdc 11.5*
valve lash cold int .010" exh .020"
firing order 1 5 3 6 2 4
ford p/n F4HT-5007-JGATN4A
hp 190 at 2300 rpm

there is quite a bit of other info on the tag and i can read the numbers but cant really tell what the numbers are for.

any info you could give to help me make a more informed purchase would be a huge help and if there is any more questions i need to ask the seller or any questions you have i may be able to answer let me know

sorry for being so long winded but thanks a million for taking your time to read this and thanks even more if you take your time to post any info helpful to me.

otis

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

just a couple more things, on the ip where the forth line from the front (or third from the rear) goes out up by the nut it looks like there was some fuel leaking, is this a big deal? how do i make sure this is a p7100, so i dont end up with a p3000 or anything else?

thanks again

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

cummins dont have glow plugs? how do you do a compression check, if they dont have glow plugs? do you have to take out the injectors or is there a better way? is there a tool to take out the injectors and is there a adapter for the copression tester made specifically for the cummins? just thought a comp. test might be a good start in checking a engines condition.

Last edited by otisd85; 02-02-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

cummins dont have glow plugs. they use a gride heater.. no special tool to remove injectors. there is a special tool to remove dv's though.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

66k sounds fresh-when i went went looking for a hummin cummins i wanted one that i could hear run,check for smoke on startup-a small puff aint a problem,but a whiteout is,let it warm up good and proper,then nail the throttle-check for black or blue or white smoke again,lastly have a look in the oil filler neck,and check the water for any sighns of oil.

these are tough motors,but even this tough they cant stand bad owners or lack of proper feeding.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM

found a 95 cummins with a nv4500 2 wheel drive with 280,000 for 2600 bucks, if i am replacing the output shaft to do the updated 5th gear nut can i just use a 4wd tailhousing or is it more hassle than that? what do you guys think of this deal? if i buy a whole truck i can drive it home and i get the intercooler too.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 AM

it had already sold

Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? I have a 94 12 valve out of a school bus im thinking of selling to get an 8.3. pm me

Old 02-06-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by billy-bob
Where are you located? I have a 94 12 valve out of a school bus im thinking of selling to get an 8.3. pm me
i am in tekamah nebraska its about an hour north of omaha. let me know the specifics on the 5.9, ie where its at, what ip it has, power rating, miles, what all you plan on getting rid of as far as accessories if any, what turbo it has, you know the whole run down.

the site wont let me pm because i dont have enough posts

Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Diesel Fan

Im in new jersey. IF i get rid of it it would go complete. Im honestly not sure how many miles was on it. I took the head off and sent it to the machine shop to get fluxed (no cracks) ans theres still cross hatches in the cylinders. its a p7100 pump engine out of a 94 ford bus. 175 hp all the same numbers on the tag as my 94 dodge. was bought to biuld a pullling engine but i havent done anything with it yet and if i sell it i can do other things. oh and it is a whc turbo spins free(i have 2). Let me know if you mite be interested i could send pics or whatever

Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM

yeah, i dont know if you can pm me or not, but if you can send me some pics. let me know if you decide to sell it and what you want for it. even if you dont decide to sell it i would still like some info on it just to give me a better idea of what to look for when i do find the right donor, im still trying to learn. thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Diesel Fan

no problem. ill snap some pics tomorrow hopefully. i would sell for the right price i would have to have you take care of the shipping arrangements if you did buy it. ive never shipped anything that big its on a pallet already.

Quick Reply: cummins donor search? what to look for?