12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

TPS "adjustment" and still issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPS "adjustment" and still issues

Since rebuilding my trans and VB, I've had an issue with shifting in my truck. '96 47re w/ DTT master rebuild kit and VB kit. All sensors and solenoids replaced with new at the time.

I worked with DTT over the phone with the 1-2 and 2-3 shifting, but was told the 3-4(OD) shift can't be cured, since it's done by the PCM. At the time, I lowered the line pressure some from 78psi to 72-73ish at 750rpm in gear and adjusted the TV stop and TV cable enough to better the 1-2 and 2-3 shifting, but still have 3-4 shifting too early.

I've checked TPS voltage and adjusted it in increments up to 1.5v at idle with no effect. No Check Engine light has come on for overvoltage or out of range. If I cut anymore on the TPS to adjust any higher, there won't be anything to bolt to.

I still have 3-4 shifting as early as 25mph, but mostly 30mph under light throttle. If I had no governor spring kit, it might be fine, as I'd need more throttle for accell and the shift would probably be delayed enough. I didn't seem to have the issue with the governor spring kit and the stock trans with the TV cable pulled about as tight as possible. Maybe I just didn't notice it though.

Is there anything else other than a potentiometer that I can do? I didn't install the DTT resistor box thing that keeps you from having 3rd gear starts, because I don't have that problem. Would that box effect shifting too? Would it help?

I'm not sure about these trucks, but I know a lot of the other Chrysler vehicles learned minimum TPS voltage at key on, then uses that to determine position from. Minimum voltage is not a set voltage that never changes and is stored in the PCM for those. That's what it seems is going on with my truck when I adjust it higher and higher.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had a pot on my truck for 2500 miles now without one problem ........although my truck would not even try to shift befor i put it on ,shifts at 40 mph and lockup at 45 to 47 good luck
94 12valve all stock
marcel

Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Anybody? Any idea on the PCM line pressure resistor thingy?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

what voltage are you getting at WOT? i was getting only 0.76 and had some bad shift problems. got a new TPS and it fixed it. i think there are two adjustments on the side of the valve body one being line pressure and the other is shift points. hope that helps.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Diesel Fan

Voltage at WOT is about 3.5 or so. The adjustments in the VB are for line pressure and MIN shift settings. If I adjust the min shift any tighter, very low throttle shifts for 1-2 and 2-3 will be high and rough. 1-2 is already at 15-17mph with the lowest throttle possible. That (min TV) adjustment "shouldn't" effect the 3-4 shift.

Since I haven't found any info out of all the forums and only one thread on DodgeCumminsforums asking the same exact question without an answer, I'm planning on just installing the governor pressure resistor/pot that I have from DTT and seeing what happens.

The resistor/pot was originally installed when the trans was built, but with it the trans wouldn't shift at all. The shop didn't realize I had the TV cable as tight as possible on the worn trans and didn't adjust it back, but removing the resistor/pot allowed it to shift. When I got it back it was shifting, but hard and high under light throttle and not at all under WOT, so I adjusted the TV and line pressure and min TV settings to get it where it is, but haven't reinstalled the resistor/pot since it doesn't have 3rd gear starts or limp mode.

We'll see.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Problem

Had the trans rebuilt a year ago. Last september, I pulled up to a stop and the auto transmission did not seem to disengage. After a few lurches it killed the engine. It started right back up. The shift point changed and it shifts rapidly through the gears. Shifting manually works well.

I thought that it had something to do with the triple plate tourqe converter or the shift kit. The trans shop looked and reported that it was the cam shaft sensor ( 1998 12v I don't think that there is a cam sensor).

I clean the TPS, and adjusted the idle to just above 900 rpm. It is a little better but can still lurch and die at a stop and still shifts very early.

I then replaced the TPS with no change.

I am considering the crank sensor but the tach works and I have not seen any other reason to suspect it.

What else ??????

Old 04-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guhfluh
Anybody? Any idea on the PCM line pressure resistor thingy?
BD Power - Product: APPS Noise Isolator
Is this what your talking about. Dtt also has one
Diesel Transmission Technology - DTT Performance Diesel Transmission and Power Accessories
Part#kw5535

A buddy of mine has two of the bd ones on both his 98 12vs cause they booth did converter shuttle shift and the bd cleared it right up.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by ma1owens
Had the trans rebuilt a year ago. Last september, I pulled up to a stop and the auto transmission did not seem to disengage. After a few lurches it killed the engine. It started right back up. The shift point changed and it shifts rapidly through the gears. Shifting manually works well.

I thought that it had something to do with the triple plate tourqe converter or the shift kit. The trans shop looked and reported that it was the cam shaft sensor ( 1998 12v I don't think that there is a cam sensor).

I clean the TPS, and adjusted the idle to just above 900 rpm. It is a little better but can still lurch and die at a stop and still shifts very early.

I then replaced the TPS with no change.

I am considering the crank sensor but the tach works and I have not seen any other reason to suspect it.

What else ??????
Sounds like an internal leak to me, causing lockup at idle. Could be in the converter, vb or input shaft...

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by bulldog77
BD Power - Product: APPS Noise Isolator
Is this what your talking about. Dtt also has one
Diesel Transmission Technology - DTT Performance Diesel Transmission and Power Accessories
Part#kw5535

A buddy of mine has two of the bd ones on both his 98 12vs cause they booth did converter shuttle shift and the bd cleared it right up.
No, not the same thing. I don't have any hunting issues, just shifts sooner than needed.

The DTT resistor didn't fix my issue either. I didn't notice any difference after install.

I may eventually try a "signal conditioner"/capacitor to clean up the signal and see what happens, but I'm not confident it will help anything.

Last edited by guhfluh; 04-04-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the tv cable need adjusted?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not hunting

Mine does not hunt either. the 2 main issues are early shift on every gear and the shuddder and die at a stop while in gear.

The lockup condition of the torque converter is the first thing that I thought of.

I will look into adjusting the tv cable.

Keep the suggestions comming.