12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Steering Wobble.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wobble.

I'm getting a SEVERE wobble, once in awhile when I hit a bump. It will stop when I get the truck slowed way down or stopped. It doesn't seem to matter what speed. When I bought the truck they guy that sold it to me had receipts for when the trac bar, and ball joints were all replaced which has been within a year. Can you guys please point me in a starting direction for this problem. I really don't know much about the steering and suspension, so starting points, and problems that you've encountered and how to check for them would be very helpful.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

you my friend have the wonderful death wobble. I went through this earlier this year. you need to replace your upper and lower drag links on both sides and that will fix the problem

and just an fyi do it as soon as you possibly can because what causes it is your drag links are bent like they shouldn't be and they could end up snapping if your unlucky which equals

Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Diesel Fan

What do the drag links look like? Also I noticed today that I'm leaking power steering fluid from the Gear box down there. Wondering if this could be part of the issue?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine had a bad wobble, had a worn out hub and i changed that and the problem went away, came back, had loose ball joints, fixed that and its been gone since. the other day coming home from the bar i was going way to fast over the railroad tracks and i was correcting the steering all over the place since this thing wanders so much and right when i went over the railroad tracks i got the wobble, this was a pretty extreme situation tho, i was steering it as the front end went over the bump and the front end was light since the pedal was to the floor. i notice the front end clunks when i back outa the driveway in the morning, so maybe iv got the same problem? i just thought this was normal for big tires(being that i only get it in a pretty extreme situation), i figure these trucks(like any solid axle truck) with larger then stock tires could benefit from a good steering stabilizer and mine has none at all...

i guess what im trying to find out is if any death wobble at all even in a ridiculous scenario like stated above is ever acceptable. i always though steering was always an issue on solid axle trucks with big tires.

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 11-10-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Diesel Fan

I'm thinking it's not acceptable. Mine doesn't need an extreme situation necessarily. I believe it's not always about big tires either, I have a 285 75 16. I'll be dropping it off to be evaluated today, since these 14 hour days are killing my work on the truck time.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Diesel Wrench

if your truck will just do it out of the blue like when you hit a lil bump it's the death wobble for example mine did it one day going 30 mph while i was pulling my trailer and both mowers.. i'll try and find another thread on here that talks about it i know there is one somewhere

Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Diesel Wrench

ok there is your picture of a drag ling there is one on both passenger and driver side i'd check those and make sure they are not bent in wrong places. also a simple ballance rotate and alignment can help

https://www.dieselbombers.com/attach...1&d=1289403659

Attached Thumbnails Steering Wobble.-129_1005_05-reworked_1994_dodge_ram_1500-drag_link-new.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 03:43 AM
Diesel Fan

So the verdict is a crappy upper ball joint on the passenger side, and the trac bar had nearly a half an inch of play in it. Plan is to replace the right side ball joints, and the trac bar, a 4 wheel alignment, and rotate and balance the tires. I think it will be much improved after that.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Diesel Wrench

sounds good let us know how it turns out

Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i fixed y steering problem. the guy who put the lift kit on didnt tighten the pitman arm all the way down and he left a few joints loose as well, it was a mess under there , everything was loose. if your still having issues after ball joints maybe take a look at your pitman arm, if it has ever been changed by a previous owner he might have done a poor job putting it on, that was my problem(after i changed bad ball joint like your doing), maybe take a look at yours.

Quick Reply: Steering Wobble.