12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

fueling at wot and afc tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default fueling at wot and afc tuning

well im going to do the afc mods (replace the cupped washer, and grind the rod) i want to check to make sure its tuned right using an air compresser. now my truck makes 32 psi do i want to adjust the starwheel so that the foot is all the way forward (wot) when i have my highest boost 32 psi? what would provide the best power to spool up ratio ? or should i have full fuel a little sooner? so i can hit it in a lower gear? Also where can a get a mack rack plug and will someone discribe to me what it is

Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

you can get the rack plug at any mack dealer. it goes in the front of the injection pump to allow u more rack travel, 2mm i believe. in order to get it in there you have to either grind the timing case or loosen the injection pump bolts. i ordered one n put it in when my kdp fell out n i had the timing case off.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The starwheel will not help your turbo spool faster. It is all in the smoke screw and it takes patience to get it right. But once you do, it goes. Than you can start playing with the starwheel.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by motorboat
The starwheel will not help your turbo spool faster. It is all in the smoke screw and it takes patience to get it right. But once you do, it goes. Than you can start playing with the starwheel.
when i mess with my star wheel it affects the boost and spool. the looser the star wheel takes a lil longer to spool and have less boost than when i tighten the star wheel it spools faster and make more boost

Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah the starwheel as alot to do with spool up time it controls how much boost is needed to move the foot forward to fuel harder. you can use a air chuck to tune your afc while off the pump and by setting the compressor to what ever psi u want full fuel at thats how you adjust the star wheel to allow for ff movement under that desired psi. what my question is should i tune the afc to have full fuel at wot under my peak boost of 32 psi for the most power or should i allow full fuel earier in the power band say 20-25psi and allow it to build to 32 psi?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

starwheel is pre boost fuel... fuel plate is wot fuel

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the afc mods will help with more wot fuel. also i pulled my plate and that gave me more to

Last edited by monster12valve; 09-28-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

so will my truck benifit from pulling the 100 plate and running plate less along with the afc mods or is there not a significant diffrence in fueling between 100 and plate less. or just grind the 100 flat?

and i know the starwheel is pre boost fuel what about the screw under the cover on the back of the afc that presses up against the diafram is that pre boost too

Last edited by 96blackcloud; 09-29-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by monster12valve
starwheel is pre boost fuel...
No its not.

Originally Posted by 96blackcloud
so will my truck benifit from pulling the 100 plate and running plate less along with the afc mods or is there not a significant diffrence in fueling between 100 and plate less. or just grind the 100 flat?

and i know the starwheel is pre boost fuel what about the screw under the cover on the back of the afc that presses up against the diafram is that pre boost too
Setting up your afc with shop air is just about worthless, you can not predict how your truck will fuel and adjust accordingly when your afc is on the bench. Do all your tuning with the afc on the truck, see what works the best for you, it will take awhile.

I barely ever run a plate on any of the trucks I work on, only when there is too much fuel for the turbo to clean up.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you guys are funny.........no plate with a cover over the pump to keep debris out and eliminate the afc all together

Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to go over here and start at the top of the page. 5.9L 12V Bombs (Aftermarket) - Diesel Bombers It helps to understand how the pump works and the purpose of the afc before you dig into it or give out the wrong information. Starting with air gets you in the game before you start. Different pumps will have different spring rates on the star wheel. I've seen it take 40# to max one out. You need to know this before you start.

Last edited by mech2161; 09-29-2010 at 09:30 PM.