12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

nv4500 output shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nv4500 output shaft

how do you exactly remove it? i've pulled the tranny, removed the input shaft and now need to remove the output shaft. trying to get at whatever bearing is making the noise in my tranny. when i rotate the output shaft no noise, when i rotate the inpput shaft you hear the heavy metal rolling nosie throughout the tranny. trying my best to isolate the problem. i'm thinking it has to be coming from a counter shaft related bearing, i've already removed the two set screw on the output shaft bolt and tried getting it to move, i think i read it's reverse threaded but couldn't get it to budge either way. wasn't really trying cause i'd hate to be wrong and just tightening it the whole time. thanks for the help

Old 09-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

the output is actually part of the whole mainshaft. its wasn't reverse threaded in any of the ones i've taken apart. They are a bitch to get off.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yeah, i've recently found some really helpful sites. i know where i'm going now and yeah it's not reverse threaded. although, the bolt is locked on there by being tapped down where the two slots are on the main shaft. i got it to move a little, but then it got to where the metal is extruding from the threaded part of the bolt where it was tapped and down into the two slots on the main shaft. now it won't go anywhere. also, if i continue to pound on it i'll ruin my main shaft threads, because like i said the bolt has been tapped from the outside and now little bumps extrude thru the threads on the inside to lock it on. i don't wanna ruin my main shaft threads. also, it doesn't seem to be any bearings in the transmission. i've removed everything except for the rear mainshaft holding plate, so all main bearings have been revealed and seem to be functioning fine. i don't receive any noise when i rotate the rear shaft, but again you hear the heavy metal rolling noise when you rotate the input shaft. that pointed me towards the counter shaft, but now that i've removed 5th gear and pulled the front retaining cap, both countershaft bearings seem fine. what else could be causing this heaving rolling metal sound? my only other concern, is on the mainshaft 3rd seems a little loose back and forth wise. 1-2- reverse have been rebuilt and the syncros are newer. none of them have any play front to back but a little side to side. 3 and 4th arre the only ones with play back and forth.... is this acceptable?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

input shaft bearing is good? Thats the biggest bearing in the trans.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

dude you are spot on!! i finally got everything apart and still couldn't figure out why the noise... took it to my buddy's tranny shop and he pulls off the input front housing and he goes "there's your problem." the race had gauges in it and the bearing was riding on it making nosie!! ugh! i checked that too, but just when it was covered in dirty fluid! let that be a lesson i guess, PAY ATTENTION MORE! oh well, atleast i know how to rebuild a tranny, cause while i got it all apart i'm gonna give it some love.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

haha