12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Oh $@!/, Fire in the cab.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Oh $@!/, Fire in the cab.

94 2500 4x4. All stock. This morning my dad used the truck to feed some hay. Comes pulling back in the driveway with smoke billowing from the cab.
We were able to get it out quickly with no major damage.
The fire started somewhere in between the blower motor and the firewall. What's strange is the blower motor still works fine and all the wiring in the area has the wrap burned but all the insulation is still on the individual wires. No plugs melted, no melted fuses or even blown fuses in the boxes.
What could have caused the fire? I need to do some further investigation when the weather clears up, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
Oh $@!/, Fire in the cab.-20161216_124018.jpg

Old 12-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Hmmmmm, maybe something bounded up the blower motor for a bit causing it to heat up the wires to almost ignition, then maybe it loosened up again. Ya might wanna pull the blower motor and check for stuck or sticking bearings/bushings or very worn bearings/bushings causing the fan to wobble and bind up. Just a thought..... Also check for chaffed wiring under the dash..... it is an older truck..........