12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

1996 2500 having problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 2500 having problems

New to this site and hoping someone can help me out. So I had my truck lose power on the Interstate and got it towed home. so when it got back I changed the injectors , fuel filter had the valves adjusted. Thought it would help and the engine makes the power again but I think k the trans is on its way out now. I doesn't get out of first till about 2200-2500 rpm and then slips between 2nd and third and fourth is fine. Someones trying to tell me it's the fuel pump which I believe or hope they mean the injection pump because they've been a mechanic for 40+ years but all gas no diesel. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and can assure me it's the trans cause if so it means the manual is going in.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Before you get too carried away with that stuff, do a search here for throttle valve cable adjustment and throttle position sensor check. Not saying that's it, just saying it doesn't cost you anything to find out it isn't and I've had those exact symptoms over the years and had it be one of those or the other more than once.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you I will give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens, I'm hoping that it might help. Would adjusting the band on the transmission do anything?
Originally Posted by JBearSVT
Before you get too carried away with that stuff, do a search here for throttle valve cable adjustment and throttle position sensor check. Not saying that's it, just saying it doesn't cost you anything to find out it isn't and I've had those exact symptoms over the years and had it be one of those or the other more than once.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

It's possible that your bands are out of adjustment and it isn't helping things, but removing it from the equation isn't going to solve your problem. It's more likely that you're low on trans fluid than that this is the bands. But fuel pump? No.