12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

No OD, cruise or speedo.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No OD, cruise or speedo.

Hello, new to forum. Anyways, my 1995 4x4 auto has me stumped. Speedo, cruise and OD all stopped at exact same moment. Tach and all other gauges and what nots are working as they should, leading me to believe the ess is working. I changed the vss on the transfer case, to no avail. Traced wiring from vss to pcm, as far as I see, no issues. Code being thrown is 24, which is tps, not sure it has anything to do with issues. Abs light is on, not sure if related. Now, would my tach and voltage be working fine, and ess still be bad? I need some help. Thanks in advance....

Old 05-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

ABS light probably on because it's in the same wiring loop as cruise control. If you unplug the ABS module, you'll lose your cruise. The OD could be related to the TPS, but I don't think the TPS would affect the cruise or the ABS. I could be wrong, and it seems like an extreme coincidence that you'd lose it all at once if it isn't the same cause. Not sure if 95 is the same as 98, but when my speedo went it was the VSS on the differential. I don't recall it affecting the OD or ABS though.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm going to try and mess with the new vss, ( that previous owner replaced before myself purchasing the truck, he was trying to figure out this issue also) maybe he did not get the gears to mesh on the vss? I've never had one apart, so not sure what it looks like out of the t-case. I read something about lining it up correctly.......???

Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I've done mine twice without issue, it's pretty straightforward. The wiring to it can be an issue as well, particularly as they age/winter/etc. Also, how are your batteries and grounds? These trucks start doing some really strange things if the voltage drops below like... 12.3

Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may seem wired but check the ground wire for the tail lights. Circuits often share a ground and the cruise I no for sure is grounded through tail lights.