12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Starts off slow and then GOES??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts off slow and then GOES??

Ive got a 97 12 Valve with Banks intake and 4"exhaust - all else is stock. Taking off it makes a lot of noise but doesn't move with much authority until I hit about 45 MPH and it goes into OD and BAM it takes off like a rocket. Can I get that power to come on earlier? During that boost its only showing about 12 on my gauge. New to the cummins and hoping I can get a little help. Thanks -

Old 06-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

there are several things u need to look at before moding it up...

check the line from the turbo to the AFC ( back of the Injection Pump ), looking for holes rubbed in that line, this is a boost sensing line

what's your transmission sounding like ?

does you engine stop revving at 2300 or more like 3k ?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

The boost readings sound low, but otherwise, what you're feeling at 45mph is less likely to be OD as it is to be your torque convertor locking. If you turn off the OD, you probably get roughly the same thing happening, only around 10mph lower, right? Until the convertor locks, a ridiculous amount of power is being siphoned off to protect the stupidly fragile minivan transmission Chrysler thought was a good idea to bolt up to a Cummins.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4manonbroke
there are several things u need to look at before moding it up...

check the line from the turbo to the AFC ( back of the Injection Pump ), looking for holes rubbed in that line, this is a boost sensing line

what's your transmission sounding like ?

does you engine stop revving at 2300 or more like 3k ?
Gotta check the line out but it shifts at about 2100rpm through each gear when I get on it

Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
The boost readings sound low, but otherwise, what you're feeling at 45mph is less likely to be OD as it is to be your torque convertor locking. If you turn off the OD, you probably get roughly the same thing happening, only around 10mph lower, right? Until the convertor locks, a ridiculous amount of power is being siphoned off to protect the stupidly fragile minivan transmission Chrysler thought was a good idea to bolt up to a Cummins.
Seems boost doesn't get much past 12 on the gauge - maybe need a boost elbow?

Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

do u know how to adjust your afc housing ?

have you checked the line from the waste gate to the AFC housing ? if there is a hole in that line .. it will cause those issues