12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Timing in inches?? Help lol

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JBear - The quickness I was referring to was it's start up. It cranks like twice and then she's running. It crank over a bit longer previously.
Patch - Did you have any acceleration issues?? Mine is sputtering around 1600RPM in every gear and I'm not sure why yet.
94 12V - Assuming I cranked the motor the correct direction I'm pretty sure I advanced it, but the dial was moving counterclockwise, so the numbers decrease in the dial. Was I cranking the engine the wrong way? Would that explain the sputtering?

And in my opinion, and theory, jumping the timing adds more compression which is why you must make more mods the higher you go with your timing, so I could totally see gaining more power. Torque I'd think ...

Last edited by Stox5225; 05-13-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Diesel Fan

I didn't see a difference in power nor did my engine get louder. From what I have been told you should see a noticable gain in power and your motor will get louder. I do believe you should see a gain in mid range power.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Diesel Fan

JBear - The quickness I was referring to was how fast it fired up. Couple cranks of the motor and it was running strong.

Patch - Did you have any sputtering? Mine starts at around 1600RPM until I back off the gas and slowly bring it up to 2K to shift.

94 12V - The dial was spinning counterclockwise, so the numbers decreasing in value. Thinking about it now, if I spun the ratchet clockwise at at the flywheel, that would cause a counterclockwise motion in the crankshaft ... instructions kept saying spin the engine clockwise ... I think you're right and I may have retarded it ... I'll be trying again Friday or this weekend.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Stox5225 No mine does not seem to studder. It seems as if I did nothing to it by bumping it. I'm going to check it again tomorrow to see if something is wrong. I not sure but if you said if your gauge moved counter clock wise I would think you went the wrong way. This was my first time doing it so it's possible I did something wrong.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Woops. I thought it didn't post that first time haha

Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Diesel Fan

Patch - Yeah based on some research here on the interwebs, my "symptoms" match those of retarded timing. Starts quicker, higher EGT's, crap for power, and white smoke. Thanks man!!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah ima check mine again too I wasn't sure if your supposed to subtract the numbers the get the value for timing or actually turn it the like the number it said on the chart.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Diesel Fan

I hope not, because mine would be spinning a lot . Like I mention, with the pump pin timed, the dial read .389. .200 is what the chart says for my pump at 13.5* ... I'm gunna stick with finding the difference .

Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Haha ok that's what I was unsure about on mine. Thanks for the help!!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Stox5225
JBear - The quickness I was referring to was it's start up. It cranks like twice and then she's running. It crank over a bit longer previously.
OK, this makes sense... if you did it backwards as 94 suspected. The higher the timing, the harder it is to start so retarding it should (to a point) make it easier.
Originally Posted by patch164
I didn't see a difference in power nor did my engine get louder. From what I have been told you should see a noticable gain in power and your motor will get louder. I do believe you should see a gain in mid range power.
The engine doesn't get louder, the pump gets louder. The only thing that happens to your "power" is that it moves to a different point in the rpm band.
Originally Posted by Stox5225
And in my opinion, and theory, jumping the timing adds more compression which is why you must make more mods the higher you go with your timing, so I could totally see gaining more power. Torque I'd think ...
What it adds is more drive pressure (also known as the power to puke oil through perfectly good seals) which is not the same thing at all. This last bit I could be missing something diesel specific on, but my understanding has always been that compression points are determined by the volume of the event chamber. I don't see how the timing of the fuel in the combustion process could affect anything but where the bang is biggest in the engine's rotation. I've changed timing three times, and everyone I know who has done so (dozens) never commented on anything but lower EGTs, the movement of the proverbial "sweet spot" for mpg on the tach and how much harder it is to start in the cold.

Quick Reply: Timing in inches?? Help lol