12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Key ignition not working after swap to 5 speed.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key ignition not working after swap to 5 speed.?

Alright, I finally dropped the money and time and got me a 5 speed. Not quite the one I wanted but I traded my auto straight across. I put a Getrag in and after all the fabrication and junk yard purchases for the plastic and such. Everything looks great and works great! Have a few kinks to work out though. First off, when I turn the key, everything comes on, but when you turn to start. Nothing. Did a little thinking thought, neutral safety switch. Spliced the 3 wires together from the original transmission harness, success key starts the truck. But the reverse lights stayed on. Take the third wire out of the splice and it's perfect. That worked for 2 days. Nothing changed in those 2 days but the truck is back to not starting with the key. I drive it every day. But have to turn the key on, pop the hood and hot wire. I checked the fuses and the wire splice and it was all good. Need help with this.

Next, have to figure out what wires to splice to trick the PCM into thinking that the automatic transmission is there. The A/C will not work unless the transmission is "connected" . I live in Texas... It's going to get hot quick!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Diesel Fan

Bump

Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GbryTxCtryBy
Alright, I finally dropped the money and time and got me a 5 speed. Not quite the one I wanted but I traded my auto straight across. I put a Getrag in and after all the fabrication and junk yard purchases for the plastic and such. Everything looks great and works great! Have a few kinks to work out though. First off, when I turn the key, everything comes on, but when you turn to start. Nothing. Did a little thinking thought, neutral safety switch. Spliced the 3 wires together from the original transmission harness, success key starts the truck. But the reverse lights stayed on. Take the third wire out of the splice and it's perfect. That worked for 2 days. Nothing changed in those 2 days but the truck is back to not starting with the key. I drive it every day. But have to turn the key on, pop the hood and hot wire. I checked the fuses and the wire splice and it was all good. Need help with this.

Next, have to figure out what wires to splice to trick the PCM into thinking that the automatic transmission is there. The A/C will not work unless the transmission is "connected" . I live in Texas... It's going to get hot quick!

Thanks in advance for the help!

only thing i can think of is in the steering column. so if you have the original automatic steering column still on maybe the shift selector is moving and acting like its not in nuetral or park to start the truck?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Diesel Fan

The park/neutral safety switch is in the transmission not the column.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GbryTxCtryBy
The park/neutral safety switch is in the transmission not the column.

aw shoots, ok thats not it.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Well I'm doing a 12v swap on a 2001 1/2 ton and I'm in the same boat hooked up the starter wire started prolly 10 times with the key. And now mine is doing the same. Try this on yours though the green wire on the neutral safety switch just run it strait to a ground. That's all that needs to be done there. Try that and see what happens

Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Diesel Fan

I'll try that and keep posted

Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Need to run a wire from ignition to starter switch ... I did a push button in my ford ..... Now no one can figure out how to start it but me and the wife ... Lol ... Its even in plain sight

Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Diesel Fan

But what about fuel shutdown solenoid

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts

Ha ha the push buttons are good anti theft device my buddy done that on his jeep and to top it off his ignition is busted out and u have to put our finger in and push the ignition on and off still kinda funny

Quick Reply: Key ignition not working after swap to 5 speed.?