12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Water In Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water In Oil

My apologies in advance I know this has probably been covered many times before. However I have combed most of the archive forum questions and haven't found my situation. I have a 95 cummins that blew a headgasket... oil in the water/water in oil. So being short on cash and honestly just not knowing any better I pulled it off cleaned it up and put a new gasket (Felpro) on it. This time no oil in the water only water in the oil. Put in a new water pump and thermostat (non cummins) while I had it all apart as well. Took off the oil cooler cleaned and tested it and replaced the gaskets with Cummins gaskets and of course didn't fix the problem of water in the oil and a rock hard top radiator hose. So pulled the head again took it to the machine shop to get it checked for cracks and if it was flat. Head was not cracked and took 10 off the head. So got a new gasket Felpro again and put it back together and I am still getting the same problem with it this time also pushing water out of the radio with the cap off and hard upper radiator hose. Hopefully there is something I am missing or doing wrong. My next step is going to be pull the block and take it all over to the machine shop. Oh also I re used my old head bolts. I have heard that's a no go but was short on money and had to get it back together and some of the old guys had said they have re used them without an issue. Everything was torqued in sequence with all bolts an original 66 ft lbs and 90 on the long ones with an extra 1/4 turn on all bolts. I appreciate any help.

V/R
Mike

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the pan, pressure the cooling system, and watch for leak.

The following users liked this post:
Runnin8842 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please have the sleves checked for cracks it sounds like your sleve is cracked and its letting air in the radiator and water to squeeze past the compression rings plus it will blow the water out when the caps off I've had that happen on a 60series detroit

Runnin8842 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Will the pan come off in the truck? Mine is a 95 2wd, and its my understanding if I lose pressure out of the radiator but don't get water out of the bottom its something to do with the head, and if i get water out of the bottom it's somewhere in the block? Do the local stores rent the pressure kit for the radiator that you guys know of, or is it going to be a purchase item? Thanks for the help thus far.

V/R

Mike

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local orielly's auto parts loans/rents a tester. Not sure if the pan will come off. If you can get it off, sometimes there will be rust in the area to help with locating the leak.

Runnin8842 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

you might have a cracked block , or your oil cooler is infact leaking ...

Runnin8842 (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 PM

How common would it be for a block to crack especially before a head is that something that happens? The truck got warm but definitely not pegged out the temp gauge when the original gasket blew. All I had was some old water damage on the side of the block where it had been leaking for a while.

V/R
Mike

Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

it happens all the time, #53 blocks are real bad for it .... could just be a bad cylinder or something that was noticed in the machining of the head...

Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orilies advance auto parts autozone all have testers for your application look under your truck if you have room for oilpan clearance some trucks have removable crossmembers to help with a in frame but you can remove the motor mount bolts then you can lift the motor to get clearance for the oilpan
Originally Posted by Runnin8842
Thanks for the ideas. Will the pan come off in the truck? Mine is a 95 2wd, and its my understanding if I lose pressure out of the radiator but don't get water out of the bottom its something to do with the head, and if i get water out of the bottom it's somewhere in the block? Do the local stores rent the pressure kit for the radiator that you guys know of, or is it going to be a purchase item? Thanks for the help thus far.

V/R

Mike

Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 PM

Machine shop said everything was good to go with the head so hopefully they were right. I am going to try and pressurize it tomorrow and see what happens. Regardless if the pan won't come out to easy can I just take the drain plug out and drain the oil first and then see if I get water out of the drain plug after pressurizing? Also if I am indeed getting water out, best bet to start looking for a new block to swap my guts into?

Quick Reply: Water In Oil