Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/)
-   -   Need Advice!!! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-liter-cr-dodge-cummins-03-07/9920-need-advice.html)

dieselgrl4life 02-26-2008 02:14 PM

Need Advice!!!

so i am going to be putting performance mods on my pickup very soon, my dilemma is that I want to get the Smarty CR, but they also have another one that they claim to be the best electronic module for the common rail cummins. its called the powermax CR. The descriptions are very similar and the power output is close if no identicle,(depends on the site ) This thing throws 190 hp to the ground and 580 ft. lbs of torque! Now I know my stock tranny is not going to handle pushin somewhere around 1100ft lbs of TQ:yeah:. I just wanted to know the best route to go. i could get the Smarty CR, and just never take it higher than level 3 until i beef up my tranny, or should I do he tranny mods first? i know i will need to upgrade my input shaft, my TQ converter and the valve body . will that make my tranny strong enuff to handle that power? If ne one has ne other advice, id love to hear it, cuz this is my first truck and i wanna do it right. also is there a difference between what TST was calling a pusher pump(FASS) and the bd diesel high volume lift pump? cuz the lift pump is half the price and supports up to 600 hp. do i still need a fass pump even if i upgraded to the bd diesel lift pump?:argh:

RSWORDS 02-26-2008 05:43 PM

Link to the powermax CR?

I have been running my Smarty on the 06 set on SW#5 for over 20,000 miles and I Beat th eliving HELL out of th etruck... Power brakes, 5-10psi Boosted launches, always on th efloor board and it has held up fine. i though I was haveing troubles with my auto but it turned out to be a solinoid or somthing that they are having problems with. Dodge swaped it in about 30 min and she shifts like new. My advice is to go SMARTY.

dieselgrl4life 02-26-2008 05:58 PM

PowerMaxCR with R49 - PMCR 03 were u asking for the link to the power max CR? well if u were here it is.:ty:

RSWORDS 02-26-2008 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by dieselgrl4life (Post 124152)
PowerMaxCR with R49 - PMCR 03 were u asking for the link to the power max CR? well if u were here it is.:ty:

OHHH... it's the TST... Heard good things about them but remember seeing something about the not working on all 06's.

dieselgrl4life 02-26-2008 09:20 PM

Yeah i think its the 06 cummins that were built after june 06 it was something about they were having compatability issues.

Wyatt Earp 02-26-2008 11:32 PM

I would go with the smarty box. hands down the best ecm programmer around. if you need adjustability then add a EDGE comp or a juice or a BD outlook or a TST or something like that. I would however be really carefull of doing anything BEFORE you add gauges.

If your truck is stock I would do this order:
Fuel Pump (FASS or Air Dog)
Gauges
Air intake
Exhaust
Programmer
Transmission
Injectors
Manifolds
Turbo

But that's just me.

staarma 02-27-2008 09:04 AM

Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of using the Carter lift pump from BD or the many others out there pushing them. They will not support the pressures or volumes needed on a CR motor. Go with a FASS or the Walbro from Glacier Diesel. I would go with the Smarty over anything else. I would also look at a pressure box like an Edge EZ or the Quadzilla stuff to stack with it. Your bottom end will be so much better and it really helps spool your turbo.

DieselDiva 02-27-2008 10:01 AM

I agree! FASS is the way to go in my opinion. I've heard good things about Airdog, but I haven't personally tried it.

dieselgrl4life 02-27-2008 10:33 AM

thanks for all great input guys! :U:

Ambitious 01-12-2010 02:58 AM

I thought you could stack the powermaxCR r49 and the smarty s-06? If you go to to tst's website they actually sell them as a combo kit. :humm: I've heard of a couple people stacking them and the way I understood it is as long as you set them right they actually work well together.

TST Products, Inc. - 2003-2007 Dodge Ram