5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

life of stock injectors

Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default life of stock injectors

alright guys im probably driving my self crazy with this truck but i need to b put at ease, my truck now has 189,000 + miles how much longer an i gona get out of the stock injectors, they r really chattery and unfortunately im probably the reason for it since a bout 7 months ago i ran about 30 gallons of diesel i pulled out of a fuel tank from a sail boat i was working on (yes it was redfuel). and now im seeing crankcase ventelation while its idoling and im under thetruck, its a light smoke but the top of the axle is covered in oil residue but engin dosent smoke or burn oil.. are these trucks suposed to have crankcase preasure like that? i need answers b4 i go.nuts, sorry for rambling i jus need answers

Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read, you are on "anytime now till..." time with the injectors. Injector life is not what we might want on these trucks. Unlikely the sailboat fuel did anything if you have good filtration and water Seperation.

Do you have aftermarket filtration on it? Are you running additive?

Last edited by ironbrew; 07-02-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If its barfing oil onto the axle and not loosing oil in the crankcase; then its likely making up the lost oil with fuel from bad injectors. Have an oil analysis done to confirm absence/presence of fuel in the oil.

Injector life is directly related to fuel quality...its not unheard of to see a set of CR injectors with 300k plus, but its also not unheard to see a set die before 100k. Short answer, there is no predetermined life expectancy...but further, the CR itself has a 300k "life expectancy" before rebuilding (which I believe is based on its use in medium duty trucks, not pickups), so one could extrapolate a 300k life expectancy for injectors as a baseline (all other things like fuel quality being perfect).

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Put a 2 micron filter pre CP3 and you'll be fine for a long time! Do this after you put in the new injectors so they last the current ones are toast! A little blow by is normal excessive is when you unscrew the oil fill cap lay it on the hole and if it bounces around it's to much!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i did the oil cap test and got nothing no smoke or air coming out, oil analysis showed no fuel just oil. i do not have any furl filters other then the stock one, im going to b more specifie about the oil on axle its not oily or saturated, just lightly, yall said the injectors are shot but thetruck still has great power and awesome fuel milagr and pulls my trailers with no problems. can it still run great wit bad injectors?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Run them till they quit! As they wear out fuel milasge does go up due to not as much fuel being put into the cylinder and power changes are so slight over time you will never notice! So if it runs good just keep on driving it! Deffinetly put that 2 micron filter pre
CP3! It will make them last longer and save your new ones!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

yea i think ima do just that, i have a feeling that im making my self belive my truck has a problem when it dosent probably since my last 3 ford diesel trucks all had eather injercor pumps crap oit scored cylindera and bad injectors warped heads that im expecting this cummins to do the same and im just not used to the sounds of a cummins. lets hope its me n not the truck.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

you kno what now that im racking my brain i think wen i did the valve lash maby i didnt tourq a nut all the way or had the engin a complete tdc because i remember roght after i did ot she sounded amazing but a few days later it started sounding chattery n stayed that way, does that sound like a possibility?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
Put a 2 micron filter pre CP3 and you'll be fine for a long time! Do this after you put in the new injectors so they last the current ones are toast! A little blow by is normal excessive is when you unscrew the oil fill cap lay it on the hole and if it bounces around it's to much!
which 2micron filter do you recomend?
o

Last edited by Bigred7.3; 07-02-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Bigred7.3

which 2micron filter do you recomend?
o
Cat: Fuel Filter part #1RO750

Vulcan diesel and glacier diesel both sell under the horn kits. I made my own with a 4" long piece of 4" aluminum angle, bolted to the horn, with a baldwin filter base. I put the baldwin filter cartridge into the factory filter cannister, then I ran a hose from the factory location to the cat filter, from the cat filter to the cp3. Much cheaper than the kits. 6 holes...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Dirt isn't the problem...water is...ULSD is hygroscopic.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by steved
Dirt isn't the problem...water is...ULSD is hygroscopic.
Do you have any articles on this? I haven't been able to find much about it. Was going to install a Baldwin Seperator filter in mine, but haven't found many articles on what is the best way to deal with water...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: life of stock injectors